Ernesto closes on the Windward Islands and the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
He is still forecast to make Cat-1, but expectations vary. He just made named TS status, but Dr.Masters thinks he will break up. There'll be some rain & stormy weather in the southern Antilles, but who knows how much more? The whole Caribbean sea, the Yucatan, Bay Islands, and Belize are possible for now...

From: Tropical Storm Ernesto : 5 Day Forecast Map : Weather Underground

Map should auto update...

at201205_5day.gif

We leave for Roatan Saturday. We will be watching. Got insurance for just in case.

Reactions: Jax
We leave for Roatan Saturday. We will be watching. Got insurance for just in case.
That's got to be an uncomfortable situation as the airlines, weather forecasters, insurance companies and you will have no idea how much of a Roatan threat it will be by then. Tuesday, it could be closing on you, or Havana - subject to change.

I'd go and hope for the best, knowing my Trip Ins would help me out if I got hit and incurred losses or extra expenses. Good luck...!!

Let's hope it holds together long enough to get into the Gulf, the Southwest needs the rain!

Reactions: Jax
We leave for Roatan on Monday. Doubt we will be doing as much diving as we had planned. :(

Let's hope it holds together long enough to get into the Gulf, the Southwest needs the rain!
Half of the US needs rain. :(

We leave for Roatan on Monday. Doubt we will be doing as much diving as we had planned. :(
You know, the odds are it won't go that way. It could, but too early to say - and probably won't.

I figure even if it goes as far north as some predictions it will still cause rough seas in Roatan keeping the dive boats from going out. I am suppose to be there Monday to Friday. I am considering a last minute change and giving up my deposits and going to the Bahamas. I have heard NOAA is sending a plane out this afternoon and should have an updated report by 5pm.

There is the south side of the island. A lot of dive shops will move their diving to the other side which is sheltered more and keep diving there when bad weather is effecting the other side. You might want to contact your dive op and see what they are doing and planning to do if you can. Worst case if your operator has no ability to do this, maybe you can make changes to another dive op that will.

United is offering free changes or refunds for tickets to the Caymans or Jamaica this weekend. More to come maybe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom