equipmnt for my children, long, but please help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the true test of this is with an unconciouse diver.

if you are totaly relaxed what would happen.

No BC, be it back inflate, jacket or backplate, is an acceptable life preserver. Strap a near empty aluminum tank on the back of a jacket BC and see which way she rolls you.

From a BC manufacturer's website...

A buoyancy compensator (BC) is NOT a lifejacket! It is not designed to provide face-up flotation in all situations, and therefore it does not meet U.S. Coast Guard regulations for a life preserver or personal flotation device (PFD). If you become unconscious in the water without a buddy present to immediately assist you, you may suffer serious injury or death from drowning. Your buoyancy compensator is primarily designed to help you maintain neutral buoyancy while in a comfortably balanced, face-down swimming position underwater. It is also designed to provide you with flotation so that you can rest on the surface, but it is not designed to function as a life preserver or personal flotation device (PFD). In order to meet U.S. Coast Guard regulations, a PFD must be designed so that it automatically rights you to a face-up position and holds your head out of the water on the surface. The design characteristics of a personal flotation device are therefore different from those of a buoyancy compensator. The ability of any flotation device to float you in a face-up position can also be affected by other diving equipment you wear, including a cylinder or exposure suit, and whether it can be inflated before you lose consciousness. For this reason, it is important to always dive with a buddy, and maintain close proximity with them at all times. Do not depend on any flotation device to hold your face above the surface in the event that you are rendered unconscious in the water while diving. Although this manual provides some basic guidelines for certain buoyancy control techniques, it is not a substitute for training from a professional diving instructor. Failure to weight yourself properly may create a hazardous condition that could lead to serious injury or death. If you are unsure how to weight yourself in order to achieve optimum buoyancy underwater and on the surface, do not dive until you have obtained the necessary instruction from your diving…

no not just saying it is a life jacket.

I am just suggesting that it would be better to float face up when on the surface.

you are correct that a BCD of any style will not replace a properly fitted life jacket.

but if you ask everybody who wears a jacket style BCD they will say that it tends to float you face up.

that is not to say that a back bladder of any style is a bad idea, it is just a more advanced step. all be it slightly.

I think for kids, and people who do resort courses they should start off with a jacket style BCD until they increase their comfort level in the water

AquaTec once bubbled...
I think for kids, and people who do resort courses they should start off with a jacket style BCD until they increase their comfort level in the water
Good point - you don't want people being turned off from the whole idea of diving before they even start, because of the mucking around getting a harness rigged properly. Can you imagine doing try-dives at a resort, and the DM spending 20 minutes with each person fitting their harness correctly? Usually the only adjustment made is chucking another couple of pounds weight into BC pockets of those tourists that are in touch with their inner styrofoam.

Thanks

and beyond that it becomes a personal coice until you are wearing doubles

bengiddins once bubbled...
Can you imagine doing try-dives at a resort, and the DM spending 20 minutes with each person fitting their harness correctly? Usually the only adjustment made is chucking another couple of pounds weight into BC pockets of those tourists that are in touch with their inner styrofoam.

Time=$$$

:)

Mike

I've never tried to float at the surface with wings, so I don't know what the proper positioning is, therefore couldn't tell the girls. I do know that they tended to roll forward in the pool using my wing and jury-rigged outfit. However, after thinking about it,I don't really see this as a big deal.

BenG, what you say makes sense regarding postioning and I will try it in the pool.

I don't see adopting a different position than the "ordinary" as a problem. After all, they don't know what position to assume now and will do whatever they are instructed to do.

thanks again

brad

Back
Top Bottom