Equipment ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarec007

Reaction score
I am looking for some recommendations on some equipment. If anybody has equipment they love/hate please give me an idea of what to look for in a BCD-- Regulator-- Mask-- Fins-- ect. I am not certified yet but will be soon and need to know what to look for. Any help would be appreciated.

For starters, I'd tell you to try out a few before coming to any decisions. See if any local dive shops have an in-house pool to give gear a test ride.

As far as BC's go, I've been really happy with the Zeagle Ranger. It's a back inflate with integrated weights. I like the back inflation for comfort - there's less material around the sides and front so it doesn't feel bulky - and also because it rides better underwater than a jacket BC. The integrated weights have a quick release that's unique. a single pull on a ripcord drops all the weights. No pulling out pockets with velcro, etc. It's also got plenty of places (pockets, d-rings) to stash stuff.

There are a number of opinions on fins. My wife and I are really pleased with the Tusa Xpert Zoom's we bought. They're a split fin design. I've also heard good things about the Apollo Bio fins and the Scubapro Twinjets, also both split. As far as paddle fins, the Scubapro Jetfins (not Twinjet) are supposed to be good, as well as the Mares Quattros. I'd still say try a few out before you make up your mind.

Dive gear is a big expense and you need to find out what is comfortable for you.You won't know that until you start diving.Walk before you run.See if you can rent the dive shops gear while you do your course.Try different BC's,regs and other bits and pieces before you make up your mind.I and my buddies have even tried each others gear to see if we like it.Don't be in a rush to spend if you don't have to because once you've got it then it's a done deal and the only other option is to upgrade,which you definately will do when you become more experienced,but save it until then and don't do it at the beginning of your diving adventures.
There really is a big network of helpful knowledgable divers around who will be more than happy to help.Use this resource and good luck with your course.
Cheers Big Ears,
The Gasman

I guess I have some more research to do. I just wanted to know if any of you had equipment that you loved/hated to help narrow the field a bit. I don't think it is feasible or possible to rent every piece of equipment ever made. I am just looking for a place to start.. maybe equipment to stay away from equipment you love. For example I went into a local shop looking for a mask. They had several that fit good, felt comfortable. I couldn't make a decision. I asked and the person in the store and he said they are both really good masks. so I asked him what mask he wears and he gave me one they didn't even sell in the store.. So I am perplexed. where to start. does anyone have a mask they love/hate so I can narrow the field a bit. I just don't want to buy anything and regret it later due to being a newbie. That goes for fins and bc's too.

As you'll no doubt be told, masks are a personal fit thing. Get the one that fits your face well. For fins, there's less of a fit problem (but of course, they should fit ok too), and I would recommend a split fin. This month's Scuba Diving mag has a comparison test. I used to have some Mares Plana Avanti paddle fins and switched to some Apollo Bio-fins. Never looked back. The split fins are so much easier to use and generate good thrust. Much less need to worry about leg cramps because the fin design helps move the water, not just your muscles. A friend who was very negative about their design tried a pair anyway, and quickly bought a pair too.

As for bcs, there're tradeoffs between hard and soft backpacks, back inflation vs jacket style, integrated weights vs not and a number of others. Personally, I have a Mares Dragonfly Airtrim, which I like. It's a combination jacket and back inflation style, and the airtrim is a nice system that does away with the power inflator hose. I would not recommend an AIR-2 or similar style octopus on your inflator. Too many buttons to confuse in an emergency, and not too ergonomic either, IMHO.

Tell us more about where and what kind of diving will you be doing. Warm water? Cold water? etc., etc, etc. This is another reason why waiting to buy your gear is important....often you don't even know what kind of diving you'll be doing until after you're certified and have tried some OW dives yourself. If you live in colder climes, your LDS will outfit you with cold water gear.....only you figure out after trying cold water diving that you hate the temps and the limited vis.......and only want to dive a few times a year in the Caribbean. If dive travel is #1 on your list, you want to buy gear that is non-bulky and doesn't take up 3 duffle bags.......

You get the picture.

My $0.02 on regs (especially for cooler water temps) -- Apeks

But I understand what you are saying.The choices are mind-boggling.I have 3 pairs of fins.The one I use the most are the Apollo bio fin as mentioned by Simon.I have 2 masks.One with a purge valve because I have a short beard and my mask leaks because of that so the purge valve suits me.I found that out by actually diving.My normal mask kept leaking and it was annoying to keep clearing it.
I know the answers may seem vague,but everyone is different and as Large has stated,your diving will also influence your gear choices.Pick what first is comfortable.That's No.1. Then look at the quality and the guarantee.Tell your dive shop what you're likely to be doing and they should recommend the appropriate gear.As it stands,you will eventually end up like us and have multiples of everything as you narrow done your likes and broaden your diving horizons.
I use a mares vector origin BC and it suits me nicely.
Hope that helps more.
Regards Gasman

If you are a new diver and need a whole setup then i have a deal for you. do to
a little eardrum repair work it will be many years before i will be able to dive
again, but i would like to help a new diver atleast look advanced:
i have the following:
Cressi med. B.C.
Cressi 1st & 2nd w/3 gauge Octopuse complete w/favor computer.
Scuba Pro 6mm 1 piece
Scuba Pro 7mm sleeveless w/hood
cressi mask
cressi finns med.
scuba pro booties
sherwood gloves 3mm
2 cressi knives one for calf one for rist
Ikelite super 8 flashlight
reefmaster 35mm under water camera with case & strobe
citizen dive watch marks and remebers depths and has compass
soft weight wieght belt
25pounds of soft weight
2 80cft steel tanks
Poseidon dive bag with wheels and back straps
cressi reg bag
i bought every thing 3 months ago and have used it twice i still have warenties
for every thing
if you are a new diver and will not buy just to part out for money then i will
sell for 1500.00
every thing matches yellow and black i just want someone to get some use out of
it i'm not concerned about how much money i'm losing it's more like giving a
chance to help someone under the water you can e_mail me @ R6_jay@hotmail.com

Sometimes I think the mask is the hardest equipment to chose. When I was in OW, people tried masks on me, and asked if they were comfortable. Ok...now...I have this "thing" on my face, looking through a fishbowl, and I can't breath out my nose. Is it comfortable???? NO!

The think to look for in a mask, besides sealing, is see if you can feel anyplace (other than the seal) that the mask is touching (ie. pushing up on the bottom of the nose, pressing against your brow). Purse your lips (like you had a snorkel or reg in your mouth) and make sure the skirt doesn't "cut" into your upper lip. Any pressure you feel in the store will become unbearable if you have it on for more than 10 minutes. When I first started diving, I had problems equalizing. Didn't realize it until I changed masks that my mask was pressing up on the bottom of my nose, and after a while, it hurt to much to pinch my nose to equalize.

Most of the time, you really don't know if a mask is right until you get it in the water. See what your Dive shop's exchange policy is. See if they will switch out the mask for you (still in very good condition, of course) as many times as it takes until you find one that works for you. I think most shops will exchange, as long as it isn't real beat up.

And, don't worry about what mask the employees use. Its always good to get someone's opinion, but what fits one person may not fit another. If you take care of it, a mask will last for YEARS. Could be the employee bought it 5 years ago, in another part of the world, and just fell in love with it!

Hope this helps. And good luck!!!

Originally posted by R6 JAY
If you are a new diver and need a whole setup then i have a deal for you. do to
a little eardrum repair work it will be many years before i will be able to dive
again, but i would like to help a new diver atleast look advanced:
i have the following:
Cressi med. B.C.
Cressi 1st & 2nd w/3 gauge Octopuse complete w/favor computer.
Scuba Pro 6mm 1 piece
Scuba Pro 7mm sleeveless w/hood
cressi mask
cressi finns med.
scuba pro booties
sherwood gloves 3mm
2 cressi knives one for calf one for rist
Ikelite super 8 flashlight
reefmaster 35mm under water camera with case & strobe
citizen dive watch marks and remebers depths and has compass
soft weight wieght belt
25pounds of soft weight
2 80cft steel tanks
Poseidon dive bag with wheels and back straps
cressi reg bag
i bought every thing 3 months ago and have used it twice i still have warenties
for every thing
if you are a new diver and will not buy just to part out for money then i will
sell for 1500.00
every thing matches yellow and black i just want someone to get some use out of
it i'm not concerned about how much money i'm losing it's more like giving a
chance to help someone under the water you can e_mail me @ R6_jay@hotmail.com

I might be interested in steel 80s, if you can't sell the whole kit. Email me at Warhammer72@hotmail.com.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom