Equipment review: DUI TLSSE Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bamamedic

Contributor
Reaction score
Somewhere between "hold my beer and watch this!" a
# of dives
200 - 499
Woo hoo! My drysuit finally came in last week :)

I went with a TLSSE because it was one heck of a lot cheaper than the $2,000 TLS350. As much as I wanted a telescoping torso and a front zip, I didn't want it enough to pay $800 more for it :)

I was wearing a Dive Rite 905 in XS before the TLS, and as much as I liked it (it had heavy duty latex seals, and came with pockets, knee pads, a butt pad, and protective zipper flap as a standard items instead of options), it was just too darned big for me, especially when it came to height, and no matter what I did, there was enough extra material in the shoulders that it was hard as heck for me to vent air (venting was a procedure that involved getting nearly vertical, rolling to the right, and tilting my arm at just the right angle). I've got a few acquaintances that love the 905, and if only it came in a woman's cut, or a smaller size, I'd still own one.

Anyways, the TLSSE is fantastic, especially when you consider the MSRP is about $1200. I had my dive shop measure me, and it turns out that I'd fit pretty well into a women's Medium Short. According to the size chart, the hips looked like they'd be a bit snug, and I was worried that it might be a squeeze. Turns out that the sizing wasn't an issue at all. It was cut for a woman, which meant smaller shoulders and bigger hips. I can fit Pinnacle Evo undergarments in there, and while it's snug, it's definitely not too tight.

It doesn't have the cool-as-heck telescoping torso, but I had no problem reaching my valves. Venting air was so much easier with a properly fitting drysuit! The trilaminate material is actually a bit sturdier than I was expecting, too.

I had Zipseals installed, and was a bit concerned that, due to my small stature, the Zipseal neck ring was going to be a bit uncomfortable (where it would dig into my collarbone). Truthfully, it is a bit uncomfortable on land, because that's exactly where my harness rests, but in the water, it's a non issue.

I'm still not sure about the Rock boots, though. They just seem a bit bulky for what they provide, and I'm thinking about just using a pair of sneakers instead. The ankle support is nice, though.

I went with a few additional options (bellows pockets - they would only install the smaller ones due to the short height of the drysuit - but I have no problem fitting a lift bag in one pocket, and a backup mask and wetnotes in the other one), knee pads, and the protective zipper flap (an extra $150, but I think it's worth it if it reduces wear on the zipper).

Now, for the minuses. I ordered my drysuit in early November (if memory serves), and didn't get it till early January. I think that the wait turned out to be about two months or so...just seemed like a long time for a mostly stock suit. I'm told it's because I ordered it right before the Christmas rush...it's all good, but I sold my Dive Rite suit expecting the DUI one to be in on time, and it kept being delayed...so I had some really cold wetsuit dives! :)

According to my LDS, DUI wouldn't install heavy duty wrist seals on a small suit such as mine. Something about the wrist being too large for the smaller suit...no biggie, because the lighter wrist seals are working better with my wrists (prominent tendons and all).

The supplied DUI hood didn't fit at all...I wound up with a medium warm neck hood, and I swear, it wasn't designed for a human head LOL. Maybe I just have an odd shaped noggin, but the neck was way too tight, and the head part was way too loose (the face seal wasn't even flush with my face).

Overall, I'm very happy with it...it's nice to have scuba gear actually designed for a woman's figure, instead of just a shrunken men's size. It fits well, was fairly reasonable priced, and you can pick the accent color! :D

I found the DUI hoods to be smaller than expected. I had to get an XL and I never thought that I had a big head. I have the warm neck hood, but I prefer the regular hood unless the water is really really cold because it allows more flexible neck movement. If you're in Tuscaloosa, where do you dive that is cold enough for a drysuit?

War Eagle! :) I have a custom TLS350. The overlay is orange with blue piping. Sadly, the blue doesn't show up very well against the black.

I'm going to have to change my avatar one of these days since it looks too much like a 'Bama image. At least it looks like a dive flag to everybody else in the world.

Enjoy your suit.

David

ABWA...it gets to be about 55 degrees this time of year. I really don't tolerate cold well (dove in a 7mm wetsuit all summer and was quite comfy), so a drysuit makes a lot of sense for me.

Wow...I'd love to see that suit! Way to show support for your fav football team! I thought about getting the overlay in crimson :D

Here it is. The blue piping is at the edge of the orange overlay. As I said, you wouldn't notice it unless you knew to look for it.

IMG_1217.jpg

The orange color definitely makes it easy to find me under water, even when I am hidden behind my camera.

AUTiger2.jpg

DUI does do custom suits in navy blue tri-lam, but I thought that would be massive overkill for the color theme. And the pads and pockets would still be black. I also could have done a blue overlay and orange trim. That would have looked nice, but I like the visibility of the orange.

What color scheme did you do?

Enough about color coordinating my drysuit. I need to go dive.

David

LOL - Just wish we had just a bit better viz for the shot. I have remained with the stealthy all black for my current Diving Concepts suit.

DUI does do custom suits in navy blue tri-lam, but I thought that would be massive overkill for the color theme. And the pads and pockets would still be black. I also could have done a blue overlay and orange trim. That would have looked nice, but I like the visibility of the orange.

What color scheme did you do?

Enough about color coordinating my drysuit. I need to go dive.

David

Very funny, in that I was just sending you a PM over on D2D.

Jeff (kidsdream) took the underwater photo of me on a trip to the Channel Islands. Perhaps you don't want the credit due to the lack of sharp focus and poor lighting. Viz was pretty bad that day.

David

Woo hoo! My drysuit finally came in last week :)

I went with a few additional options

:D

Rita........did you get a pee-valve in this one or do you still have to race for the outhouse as soon as the dive is over? I got a Halcyon streamline pee-valve in mine but last night's test drive of the condom catheter was a little "hairy". I think I need to trim more and go up a size. The provided weenie wheel in the Rochester sampler pack is not so easy to guesstimate with.:confused: I love the custom fit TLS 350 though. I'm gonna try to get it wet next week before I go tropical.

No, I'm not quite brave enough to cut a hole in my suit and try my luck with the She-Pee. I'm sure I will eventually, though, especially when I complete AN/DP and my dives get longer...

So, yes, for now, I get to beg someone to unzip my suit and make a mad dash for the restroom after longer dives :D

Definitely looking forward to diving with you once your tropical vacation is over :) (then it's back to the cold, dark quarry for you!)

Would be nice if we could see more pictures of users with their color schemes. I am now too shopping for a TLS350. Yahooooo :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom