Equipment purchases - comments on BCD please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c_m_wood

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. Ive been diving for around 3 years and have recently decided to purchase my own gear as I intend to take it up far more regularly. All of my diving thus far has been abroad but I'm joining a club here (UK) so the gear preferably needs to b light weight and able to cope with warm and colder waters.

So far I have bought:
Mares V16 proton metal (DIN)
Mares proton octopus
Old model but new datamax pro air integrated computer
Suunto SK7 wrist compass
Mares volo fins

I shopped around and bought all of these brand new for way under half their retail value.

There aren't a huge number of dive shops around here but I have managed to try on a few BCDs of which I preferred the Buddy commando (i think), Posieden techlift and Mares Vector Chrome.

The buddy is a bit to expensive for my budget and I didnt really like the weight and lack of pockets on the techlift so am left with the mares vector chrome which I have found for 191 GBP + £20 for the MRS weight system.

I would appreciate any comments about this BCD and setup as it is the first dive equipment I have bought. There seems to be a huge choice of BCDs out there and Im looking for the best deal. I like the light weight, quantity of D rings, traditional BC inflator and 3D pockets of the Vector Chrome. Are there any bad points of it? Im restricted to buying one that I can try on first as i refuse to buy a BCD without trying it on first but maybe I could stretch to a Vector 1000 if its a similar fit to the Chrome. Is it worth the extra?

I appreciate I have asked an awful lot of questions here but I would like to make an informed choice and would appreciate help from more experienced divers.

(Diving would be recreational - possibly some wrecks).

Many thanks.
Chris

BIGSAGE136:
Dare I suggest a BP/W? Can't beat the setup cost...

Thanks for the suggestion. To be honest I'm not really sure what they are like to dive with. I'm open minded and I think the Poseidon Techlift is a mixture of BCD/ wing and I did like the idea of the more streamlined horizontal position. Any suggestions as to which ones? I have reservations about the BP/W system only as ive never used them and I guess I'd prefer to buy something that I am comfortable and familiar with and maybe progress to that in the future.

Thanks again for your suggestion.
Chris.

Bp and wing , its the most versitile system on the market. Rest assured you will have the best thing available if you get one.
Add ons (pockets , D-rings etc etc) you can add and remove them as needed . no toher BP will give you the options will will have with a bp

If its the price try the Oceanic Backinflated stuff. Try used.
I tried a OMS BP/wing set (my friend's) and its great. I used it 4 times and I loved it.
So I tried looking for some set but I found a Oceanic Chute 2 Bc on Ebay. Wich I bought 200 USD with shipping. And its great. It has a hardpack wich acts a bit like the BP and a nice big wing. Its the same as a BP/Wing setup, but more Rec style.

It has a #45 wing, 4 weight pockets and 8 D-rings. Its perfect for my needs.

If you want new BP set is the price of a new BCD
a complete Dive-Rite setup at www.divesports.com
is 600$ a good rec BC is 500$. For the diff, id go BP.

I just bought a Mares Dragon BCD, when my old faithful USDivers Calypso backplate broke after a particularly nasty shore dive (swells 3' on the way out, 6' on the way in onto a coral shelf. Tank first...).

But anyhow...I've only dove with it a couple times, but it's the most comfortable BC I've used to date. Only bad thing is small pockets. I paid 380 USD for it (listed at 595+), and I'm impressed with it so far. Only time will tell though...

Dave

Thanks for all the replies. I am still looking but am coming around to the idea of a bpw. Need to buy inside of a month so i'll be scouring the shops for prices.

Thanks again.
Chris

I dont know if its like that where you live but here in canada a whole OMS set is worth about 1200$ and on internet i can get it at 700$. So I would go to the internet and make a quick shipping but if you have nice LDS with low prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom