Equipment Packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD

Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine is planning to get certified (he lives some ways away from me) he's looking at equipment packages and his "local" shop offers the following packages...

Package 1
Aqua Lung Titan reg
LPO Octopus
Dacor 2 gauge console
SeaQuest Spectrum 1 BCD
List price $760

Scuba Center Package Price $579

Package Upgrades:
Computer console add $135
80 cf Alum Tank add $145
Compass on console add $50

Package 2
Dacor Fury Adj regulator
LPO Octopus
Dacor 2 gauge console
Aqua Lung Maverick BCD
(weight integrated)
List price $1065

Scuba Center Package Price $749

Package Upgrades
Titan LX reg add $45
Computer console add $135
80 cf Alum Tank add $145
Compass on Console add $50

Package 3
Dacor Viper America regulator
Dacor Viper Octopus
Favor computer console
SeaQuest Pro QD BCD
List price $1360

Scuba Center Package Price $1059

Package Upgrades
Diva QD BCD add $25
Nitrox Computer console add $110
80 cf Alum Tank add $145
Compass on console add $50

Package 4
Atomic B1 regulator
Oceanic Datamax Pro + air integrated computer console with QD and compass
Diva QD, Libra, or Balance BCD with Air Source
List price $2214

Scuba Center Package Price $1839

Package Upgrades
Computer downloader & interface add $139
80 cf Alum Tank add $145

Anyone have comments on any of these pieces of equipment ? None of my local stores stocks any of these things so I'm not sure how good any of it is as equipment, and would prefer to hear personal opinions of any of it rather than reading reviews and such..

Thanks for any info...

Okay, how 'bout a 5th option

SS backplate/harness
27lb wings
Apeks TX50/TX40
Pressure gauge

Prox $800.00 or less

Cheap watch for bottom timer $42.00

Will never have to change anything ever again unless going to doubles, and then only the wing and add a regulator.

I know this didn't answer your question, but wanted to throw in another option anyway!!!

I would go with Package 4 and see if you can do without the air integrated feature on the computer. That would lower the package. Better yet, mix and match the pieces your friend likes and have them quote you a package based on YOUR choices.

Scott

Originally posted by JamesD
A friend of mine is planning to get certified (he lives some ways away from me) he's looking at equipment packages and his "local" shop offers the following packages...
James I would agree with D.D. except I would say that your friend should wait until after he/she is certified and has a few dives renting equipment... then perhaps purchase the set up D.D. recommends, try it for 30 days and then if your friend doesn't like the BP/wing they can send it back for a refund and move on to something else. The Apeks won't be a bad choice no matter what.

JamesD,

waterdogs here from charlotte. I agree with both uncle pug and scottr. Wait until you go through classes or try different equipment if possible during class and try on various bc's out of class to check proper fitting.

Apeks regs - I just recently purchased. Can't go wrong. But like Scottr said, mix and match to your friends preference then ask them a price.

Use this board to research all computers, bc's and regs as well to get some ideas and opinions.

waterdogs.

Back
Top Bottom