Equipment Modifications To Assist Quadriplegic Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carl_F

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm training a quadriplegic diver who has partial ability with his arms / hands. He is using web gloves for propulsion. He has difficulty with several parts of the BC:

Dump valves - the fingers on the hands are partially locked in curled position. Between that and the gloves, I'm considering drilling the plastic pulls through to attach a 1-1/2 inch to 2-inch metal ring.

Integrated weights - again, the fingers and gloves make it a real challenge to pull the weight pocket. Again, considering drilling through the weight-pouch handle for a d-ring or circular ring.

With either of these he has reasonable strength in his fingers / arms to pull on a ring if one or two fingers are hooked in the ring.

And has there been any modified k-valves (inflator/deflator valves adjusting the orientation of the different buttons or making the valves easier to manipulate?

I'm looking forward to any creative suggestions that may have previously worked!

The first thing I would suggest is to get him weighted right so he would be far less dependent on the BCD in the first place and carrying less weight overall. I would lose the weight pockets and go with a belt instead so all the weights could be dumped easily without his fingers being attached to the weights by a ring if his fingers can not be straightened. The ring on the BCD should work fine but a larger ring might be easier to use. The only other thing I can think of at the moment would be to modify the dump valve with a hose running from the valve to a side block with a 1/4 turn valve then another hose running back to the top of the BCD. The 1/4 turn valve should be easier to work with, could be positioned anywhere but would dump air slower then the existing valve. The same thing could be done to inflate the BCD if the 1/4 turn is easier to work then the existing button on the inflator.

I would lose the weight pockets and go with a belt instead so all the weights could be dumped easily without his fingers being attached to the weights by a ring if his fingers can not be straightened.
How would he manipulate the buckle?

Integrated weights - again, the fingers and gloves make it a real challenge to pull the weight pocket. Again, considering drilling through the weight-pouch handle for a d-ring or circular ring.

The Zeagle "rip cord" is one solution if a BCD with integrated weights is a requirement. The toggle can easily be modified with a large diameter ring. The toggle only has to be pulled a short distance before the weights are released.

Maybe not ideal, but workable if integrated weights are a requirement.

How would he manipulate the buckle?

The same way he would pull on the ring. The buckle could be modified to make it easier to pull but that would require the use of a metal buckle. Not a big deal but you don't want to make it too easy to release the belt either.

The Zeagle "rip cord" is one solution if a BCD with integrated weights is a requirement. The toggle can easily be modified with a large diameter ring. The toggle only has to be pulled a short distance before the weights are released.
I agree - to keep from being a run-away put less than half their weight in the back pockets - they have individual velcro release pull handles to which you could also add loops/handles.

This is a Stiletto - a heavier duty single tank "travel" bc. Notice it already has easily gripped loop pulls on the zipper pockets and the pull dumps are pretty wide and easy to grasp. One other thing - and there's others that do as well - pulling on the inflator also vents air from the left shoulder dump. Some of their models also have a right shoulder dump - so does Aqualung.

You could add a 1-2" ring to the weight pocket zippers - the inside pockets on this bc - to make it easier to unload and hand up weights. And the included/optional Zeagle yellow weight bags have about a 6" loop sewn onto them for that use.

I believe a bungeed wing should assist in venting also...

Capture.JPG

weight pockets:
Capture3.JPG
back trim pockets:
Capture2.JPG

Obviously most of this applies to many BC's. I know the Stiletto since I owned one.

A few years ago a veteran with limited mobility contacted Zeagle thru their former rep here and they were able to relocate some things to make it easier for him so you might contact them directly also.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom