Equipment and Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankge

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, 1st post....

I an an experienced traveler with equipment - surf - to Mexico. Is dive equipment any different, hopefully no exra charges. How about thievery? Going to Cancun this weekend and want to bring our own.

Thanks!

frankge:
Hello all, 1st post....

I an an experienced traveler with equipment - surf - to Mexico. Is dive equipment any different, hopefully no exra charges. How about thievery? Going to Cancun this weekend and want to bring our own.

Thanks!

Check out your allowance, if its pc as piece concept you allowed to pieces of luggage plus one carry one plus one personal items. I think you can still load the two check in pieces to 70 lbs, but check with your airline. Don-t bring tanks and no weight. Attach a good direction label to the baggage, so if lost they can ship it to your hotel.

Dive computers, cameras, strobes or watches please do not check it, carry on much better.

When traveling I follow the rule of some people may can not resist the temptation of being tempted, keep all in a bag and leave nothing laying around ... served me well...

Matt
www.protecdiving.com

I suggest;
1. Don't tell anyone you're going diving, or transporting dive equip. Some airlines will charge extra even if it's in your regular luggage.
2. Don't use a bag that has a big dive flag, or other "scuba" markings. Make it look like all the other luggage.
3. Mexico or anywhere else, assume that someone would love to steal your things so don't let it happen.
Have fun - Eric

frankge:
Hello all, 1st post....

Thanks!
I haven't travelled with surf equipment, but have travelled several times both to Cancun and domestically with wetsuit (or drysuit)/computer/regs/BC/etc. The only equipment I sweated about was my 13 cu. ft. pony bottle. I still brought it (with the top off so it wouldn't be presurized) but I was worried about the airlines (or TSA) disallowing me to travel with it. I have never "declared" that I was taking scuba stuff, as some airlines policy is to charge extra.

I always carryon my computer and usually my regs, then check everything else.

Don't bother bringing weights or main tanks, as those are both included in the dive charters price in that area.

As MattMexico mentioned be sure you check the weight allowance for your airline. International flights have always been 70 pounds, but lately some airlines are starting to restrict you to 50 pounds.

As far as theft - I have a large DeepOutdoors diving bag that I've taken to Cancun twice (checked baggage), and haven't had any problems. I don't have any diving stickers on it, but since DeepOutdoors is a diving supplies manufacturer most people could figure out that it's full of diving equipment.

Have fun!

Jerry

Back
Top Bottom