Equalization relative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkdiver289

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello,
I hope this is the right forum but i have a question.
Is a person's ability to equalize and stay comfortable during a dive relative to their depth.

For example, I have bad allergies and sinuses. I can clear my ears at 5 feet, then at 10 feet, once i reach fifteen feet it takes awhile and i feel a squeeze. Once i finally equalize at say 15 feet, i don't have a problem for the rest of the dive. I will sporadically clear my ears once i reach my target depth but I don't feel any pain. So my question is.. Once a diver finallly equalizes, will they be able to equalize again at any depth without a problem? Does this make sense?

PS during ascent, mucus seems to come out of every sinus...i assume that's the result of the decrease in ambient pressure?

The trick to equalizing is early and often before the preasure builds up to a point that would make it nearly impossible.
If you have problems equalizing on the way down just return to a slightly shallower depth and try again.

The flush of mucus is natural, just remember to clean yourself up before reboarding the charter boat.

Hope this helps.

The proportional pressure changes are greatest in the shallows, so if you can equalize successfully down to 30 feet, unless you have caused damage, you shouldn't have an issue with the rest of the dive. (For example, you double the pressure between the surface and 30, and then you have to go to 100 feet to double it again.)

However, the fact that you are equalizing a couple of times immediately and then having trouble at 15 feet suggests to me that you either aren't completely equalizing at first, or you are waiting too long to do it, and your ears are annoyed with you by the time you get to 15 feet. Try not "equalizing", but rather "pressurizing" your ears -- push some air into them on the surface BEFORE you start down, and then do it again before you feel the slightest hint of discomfort, and see if it makes that 15 foot stop easier.

The proportional pressure changes are greatest in the shallows, so if you can equalize successfully down to 30 feet, unless you have caused damage, you shouldn't have an issue with the rest of the dive. (For example, you double the pressure between the surface and 30, and then you have to go to 100 feet to double it again.)

However, the fact that you are equalizing a couple of times immediately and then having trouble at 15 feet suggests to me that you either aren't completely equalizing at first, or you are waiting too long to do it, and your ears are annoyed with you by the time you get to 15 feet. Try not "equalizing", but rather "pressurizing" your ears -- push some air into them on the surface BEFORE you start down, and then do it again before you feel the slightest hint of discomfort, and see if it makes that 15 foot stop easier.

Hello,
I hope this is the right forum but i have a question.
Is a person's ability to equalize and stay comfortable during a dive relative to their depth.

For example, I have bad allergies and sinuses. I can clear my ears at 5 feet, then at 10 feet, once i reach fifteen feet it takes awhile and i feel a squeeze. Once i finally equalize at say 15 feet, i don't have a problem for the rest of the dive. I will sporadically clear my ears once i reach my target depth but I don't feel any pain. So my question is.. Once a diver finallly equalizes, will they be able to equalize again at any depth without a problem? Does this make sense?

PS during ascent, mucus seems to come out of every sinus...i assume that's the result of the decrease in ambient pressure?

Hey, Sushidiver... thanks for writing..!

Problems equalizing are actually more related to the change in pressure rather than absolute depth - just like you have a much bigger percentage ambient pressure change in the 30 feet between 30 FSW and the surface than you do in the 30 feet between 120 FSW and 90 FSW. This is why people may have more problems equalizing at shallower depths...

It is true that once a diver equalizes at depth, they usually stay OK for the dive (no further change in pressure). Also, it is less common to have problems on ascent (a reverse squeeze) than on descent, because it is easier for trapped air to escape the middle ear than to be forced into it through a poorly functioning Eustachian tube. But there is no reason to think that you wouldn't have the same problem on your next dive (if that is what you are asking - I wasn't sure).

DMDavid's advice is good, and if you have looked around in this forum, you may have found this helpful video...

Good luck!

Mike

When you fail to properly equalize your body winds up shifting fluid (often blood) into the negative pressure space. In the case of your ears this is the mucus membranes that line your Eustachian tubes. This fluid further block your tubes and makes further equalization even more difficult, if not impossible.\

So what can you do? What you want to is to "hold" your Eustachian tubes open. You can do this by getting ahead of the process a little and hold a little extra positive pressure in your Eustachian tubes all the way down by continuously blowing gently against a pinched nose.

For some reason lately I find that if I "puff my cheeks" before a Valsalva manoever, I equalize much easier. I am not sure if there is a medical reason for that, but trust me it works REALLY well.

I also never close my nostrils off completely so that if things aren't going well the air has an escape route and I don't risk trauma from "blasting" my tubes.

But more on topic, equalization becomes automatic for me past 30 feet or so...a simple jaw thrust and I'm good!

Bob (Toronto)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom