Epoque WAL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDunbar

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience, good or bad, with the Epoque WAL for the Oly 5050? I purchased Epoque's strobe and had it flood on about the third dive -- very poor design with a single small o-ring. Now I'm questioning their WAL. It may be just fine, but I'm not too thrilled with Epoque right now, I guess. Their WAL seems to be a bit on the heavy side, but maybe they all are.

I just came back from Honduras after using my 5050 for the first time -- got some incredible shots. Thanks for all of your info. I've been somewhat of a "lurker," but have picked up many great ideas. (Love the Koozie!)

I've ordered a Sea & Sea strobe, and am thinking of getting the Fisheye after so many people have raved about it. Is there a US company that sells it?

I do believe I've become a digital convert. (My poor 35mm. camera may never see water again.)

Welcome to Scubaboard!

I haven't found a US company selling the Fisheye tray, and I looked long and hard. But I can highly recomment Yuzo's UWDigital Camera in Japan. I was hesitant to order from overseas, too, but I'm really glad I did.

My buddy just purchased this lens for his 5050. We are actually doing a pool dive tomorrow getting ready for our Coz trip...I think he is going to test out the WAL then.

I'll get back to you, but I don't know much about it..I'll ask him.

I can't speak for the Epoque WAL but I recently purchased the Inon WAL for my C4000Z/PT-010 and am very happy with it. I'll second Dee's post as respects ordering direct from Yuzo in Japan. I purchased my WAL from him and received it within a few days.
There are two different type Inon WAL, Type 1 and Type 2. If you decide on the Inon be sure and specify your housing model. The 5050 takes the Type 2 which mounts directly to the housing lens port.

"am thinking of getting the Fisheye after so many people have raved about it. Is there a US company that sells it?"

I purchased a fisheye from seashooters.com about two weeks ago. Communication, shipping etc. all went very well

Thanks for the info. I'm going to move on the Fisheye after I find out if I'm getting any refund on the flooded strobe. Will the Fisheye work with any WAL? Right now I've got the Epoque WAL, the Slotted Stay and Lens Storr. Seems to work okay, although was quite heavy -- hard to operate with one hand if that's needed. My hands are quite small, though. It did seem to have a bit of blur on the outer edges, but not too bad.

Those of you looking for a strobe, stay away from the Epoque ES-150. Just my opinion, of course, but it's a poor design. Pay the extra and look for something else!
Even before it flooded I wasn't completely happy with the lighting coverage.

Now I'm working with a new comp. digital photo program. Went with Adobe, but still have some things to work out. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Maybe I'll try posting some of my shots later, especially the octopus shots. For my first trip with this camera, not to speak of going digital, I'm really pleased. (However, I've done quite a bit of u/w photography, just film.)

This is really a great forum for getting pertinent info. I would have probably ended up with a different camera/housing if I hadn't "happened" on the Scubaboard.

I have to agree - if you go with the epoque strobe, sooner or later you WILL upgrade!

Compare these shots... first one oly750uz/pt-018 epoque strobe, same shot 3 months later, oly750uz/pt-018, epoque WAL, sea&sea ys-90auto. I was Gobsmacked by the difference!

Compare these shots... first one oly750uz/pt-018 epoque strobe, same shot 3 months later, oly750uz/pt-018, epoque WAL, sea&sea ys-90auto. I was Gobsmacked by the difference!

Wow, now I know it wasn't just me!

To be fair to the epoque strobe, it performed "ok" in the red sea. I mounted the ys-90auto on a longer arm, so this probably helped reduce backscatter. The wide angle lens seems to make a huge difference, as it allows you to get closer to the subject and still get it in frame. It surprised me how close you actually have to get! Here are another couple of before/after shots...

Back
Top Bottom