Epoque release housing for Sanyo HD1/HD1A

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow,

This may be my next fun play toy... we'll have to see, but at 250 for the housing and 500 (ish) for the camera, this would be a really nice play thing, without costing a vast fortune for HD video.

Of course, not sure on the "quality" of the HD video, some reviews seem good, others aren't quite so posative, but the larger battery (1200mAh vs 700mAh for the VPC-C5/C6) would be really nice... the VPC-C5 lasts almost an hour, but it's not QUITE long enough for a single normal dive (my normal dive is about 50 minutes or so).

From what I know regarding this camcorder is that records on SD memory cards and a 4gigs card is around $200 to $300 for one hour and looks like in between dives you bring you laptop on board to download the footage or you'll have to have a second card to replace the full one and still download later in your hotel room to your laptop. In both circumstances you'll have to open your housing in between dives and most of us know what can happen, I don't want to get in details.
As you said the HD quality may not be the one that we'll expect.
Indeed, the format is MPEG4 which is highly compressed and not very popular, BTW Sony tried a few years ago with a camcorder that was recording in this format on microDV tapes that are a lot chipper but didn't work so I suggest that anyone that might consider this setup to do good research before buying. I suggest to go to CNET REVIEWS.
Paul

I guess a lot depends, I normally take my cameras out of the housing inbetween dives, want to check any footage, make notes on what I have done right (and more importantly what I've done wrong) check if I got any special footage I was looking for (or if I need to get some more).

I wasn't suggesting it for professional videographers, but for those who want a camera to take a few photos, and maybe some video clips it does seem to have some nice benefits.

Back
Top Bottom