Epoque ES150 Strobe Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwlast

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a Epoque ES150DS strobe. In the instructions (which by the way are hilarious with it's poor English translation...for example "Do not fire around easy materials to burn. It would make a factor of fire") it says to use AA Alkaline or Nicad batteries. I was wondering, it doesn't mention Ni-MH batteries as a power source. Now, I'm no battery expert, but aren't the three different type interchangable? Would there be a reason not to include Ni-MH batteries....just an oversight?

Alkaline batteries do have a higher nominated voltage per cell compared to NI-CD rechargeable batts. NiMH have about 1.2 volt which is equal to NiCD batteries. Therefore, if you are permitted to use Ni-Cd batteries, you can as well use NiMH, if only you take care of the recharging process: you should recharge them with apropriate devices, propably not with the original charging kit for the strobes. NiMH are fare better in all aspects. Li-Ion batteries are even better, but because of higher cell voltage and sensible loading procedure, they are not suitable - for the moment - for your strobes.

Concerns with using NiMH over NiCD in strobes seems to be with the hydrogen build-up under pressure tight caps during a battery compartment flood.
Don't know about Epoque but Sea and Sea had issues with this and fixed it with a release valve in the battery cap. They now (officially) state with their YS90DXs that it is ok to use NiMH batteries, though many UW photographers have been doing so prior without incident. Here's an article re: the S&S strobes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom