EPL1 vs S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
i know that a M4/3 is more capable/flexible than a high end compact but would it be really worth it to upgrade to an EPL1 from an S100? i can get a new EPL1 for $430...add the $500 for the housing (already have the strobes) and i think it's pretty good...i haven't seen much on the EPL1 lately with all the latest oly offerings. any big cons i should know about? thanks.

not sure the S100 supports TTL, and you might want to check into this.

I love my EPL-1 and would recommend it. I am always learning new things with this camera, and recently picked up the wide angle lens and dome port. Looking forward to learning how to shoot this lens.

Here are a few sample shot I took last year in Bonaire.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336515273248.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336515273248.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 73
  • uploadfromtaptalk1336515302748.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336515302748.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 60
  • uploadfromtaptalk1336515327921.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336515327921.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 63
  • uploadfromtaptalk1336515348062.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336515348062.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 65
Thanks. Which lens are you using?

Olympus 14-42mm and for the macro shots I used the Olympus 67mm wet lens. I just picked up the 9-18mm wide angle lens with the 100 degree zen dome port

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

I would think the E-PL1 can ultimately provide better results due to the larger sensor but you must take into account some impressive features the S100 has like:
1080p video
larger and better LCD screen
much much smaller both with and without a housing.
f/2.0 lens ( not that much of an advantage underwater as you would most probably be shooting with strobes )
24mm lens (35mm equivalent)

Now , the other thing to consider is which housing for the S100 you are using. If you are using Ikelite that you dont have the back jog dial and then you are very limited when shooting manual. If that is the case , I would immediately say the E-PL1 is better, also because the Olympus housing is much more ergonomic and easy to use than the Ikelite ultra compact housing.

If you are using a Fix or Recsea housing for the S100 , then I would personally stick with the S100 and in a couple of years after you are ready to take it up to the next level go with a sony NEX-7 or similar.

If you use 2 good strobes and get the hang of shooting manual with the S100 , your shots will be superb and probably as good as most E-PL1 shots.

With that said , the E-PL1 optics are superior and with the S100 you can get some blurry edges and a bit of distortion especially when shooting 24mm at the widest zoom.

Good luck.

I'm going diving with the S100 this weekend with 2 Inon strobes , you can check our gallery after the weekend to see the shots from these dives.
gallery.housingcamera.com

thanks, mozaik...been using an inon d2000 and s&s ys27dx with decent results. right on about the ike housing....i bought it for the peace of mind on deeper dives but really am not a huge fan of it when compared to the canon housing i orginally had. here are some pics using the Bluewater WA110 (Epoque DCL30) attached and 2 strobes:

zanpaseafancopy.jpg

jamnudi2.jpg

zanpalioncopy.jpg

my real reason for wanting to upgrade already is i would like something better than F8 on the S100 and M4/3 or DSLR is the only way to go for that. BUT if i am not going to get noticeably improved IQ, i may just sit tight for a while longer.

Back
Top Bottom