EON Steel Question regarding compass bezel and reciprocals - missing feature?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XS-NRG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I went to a dive shop yesterday and got some hands on time with the EON Steel and I have to say I really like it. It is quite heavy and smaller than I thought and you do need to tighten the strap considerably to stop it from rattling around on a bare arm but I'm sure that's something I'll get used to.

My main concern though is with the compass. I can't for the life of me find anywhere about setting a lubber line the way you would with a bezel and doing reciprocal headings other than just remembering the heading and doing your math in your head or on a slate. I think this is very poor planning if you ask me. There should be a simple button to press in that mode where it would lock the heading say in red or something that you could follow and have another mark on the opposite side for reciprocal headings. I dive in low to no viz all the time and when you take your eye off it for a sec to find something you may have missed (by inches) then remembering numbers constantly is a bit of a PITA. Have any new firmware updates added this or do any other computers even work like this that have a built in compass? I know it seems nit-picky but I'm quite surprised something as simple as that has been overlooked.

From what I understand they will be addressing this in a future update, though I have not heard when that would be. In the manual it actually describes how to do it. While in the compass mode you would have held down the bottom button to create a bookmark/compass heading.

Ok. Thanks. I read through the manual but didn't see that part. What page is it on?

I have also managed to find this page from Aqualung (distrib for Suunto):
Aqua Lung US - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Recreational and Professional Use - Suunto EON Steel

Under Compass -> Bearing tracking -> Upgradeable in 2015

I assume this is what this is meant for as some other people were asking in the Suunto Answers section and they apparently overlooked it and said thanks for the suggestion (oddly enough the same goes for dive plan mode which is also set to be upgradable in 2015)

Hi,
the compass bearing is coming with the next update this summer together with some other features. The planner will follow later. With the EON Steel we have build a platform allowing us to gradually add functions which will make it more and more complete, depending on the diver's needs. Some functions we've already had in previous devices have also undergone potential improvements and necessary adjustments to implement those properly in EON. To ensure a sufficient testing and validation procedure we're releasing them as updates.

br, Hendrik

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 08:47 AM ----------

BTW: We're offering a neoprene sleeve (SS021495000) for a more comfortable fastening/wearing on a bare arm...

br Hendrik

Hi Hendrik,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a great system and can't wait to see that update. I'm happy to hear about the neoprene arm band too. Will you be adding SAC and breathing time remaining to the customizations as well. Those would be great features. So glad this is user updatable. Cheers :cool2:

Oh I like the sound of the neoprene sleeve!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,
the remaining "air" time will be included in the next update, too. I can't confirm the SAC rate at this stage though...

br, Hendrik

Hi Hendrik,

There's lots of things to like about the Eon, particularly the upgradeable firmware which should mean that lots of new features will get added in the future. Have you any plans to add a direction finding feature as on the Liquivision Lynx?

Hi Hendrik,

There's lots of things to like about the Eon, particularly the upgradeable firmware which should mean that lots of new features will get added in the future. Have you any plans to add a direction finding feature as on the Liquivision Lynx?
That would require supporting sensor(s), which I'm not sure the EON Steel has.

I contacted Suunto via email about the update for the lack of bearing compass setting. They eventually replied with a non specific we are getting around to that. The lack of ability to make compass settings is huge with this computer. Can't believe they haven't sent out an update for this. Waiting for many other features is of secondary concern. This one is essential.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom