Envoy Vs Onyx second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theiszy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, im doing allot of reading up on the inner workings of regulators lately (regulator savvy and reg maintenance & repair), so im wondering whats the real difference between something like the envoys delux 2nd and the onyx 2nd. I have both, and not having pulled apart the onyx all I see is: the heat sink, the braided hose & different purge cover. Is there a difference with the poppet assembly? Or anything else?

Also, I have seen "upgrade" kits for the envoy which is part of a service kit, it has a new/better poppet assembly is this the same as what is in the onyx or better?

Envoy doesn't have a venturi control. everything else is the same.

Actually, the Envoy does have a venturi control, but does not have the breathing resistance adjustment knob. The venturi control is the dive / pre-dive switch. Apart from that and the things you (OP) mentioned, the 2nd stages are identical.

The upgrade kit is available for all Zeagle regulators ever made (by Zeagle, not the Apeks/Zeagle regs), so it would be available for the Envoy or Onyx. It may already be installed on a new reg. I requested to have the upgrade kit installed on my Flathead 7 and my daughter's DS-V regs during service last year. My dive shop is honest and likes me. They noted that the upgrade kit was already installed on my Flathead, but was not installed on my daughter's. Makes sense since the Flathead was purchased in 2014, while the DS-V was purchased around 2003. DS-V had a Zeagle ZX second stage. This is no longer available, as it was replaced by the Onyx.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom