Entry level kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dirk Pitt

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a freelance photographer for about 7 years, and have both Medium Format and Canon EOS 35mm gear.

I have just got my OW and looking to expand my work to include UW photography, so i'm looking around for good quality UW cameras, is it better to:

a) obtain housings for my current gear

or

b) look at dedicated UW cameras

or

c) switch to a digital system (Nikon cpx 5000 + sea&sea housing)... dus to the inability to change rolls underwater

Any help/views appreciated

Regards,

Dirk

I am new to diving but not new to photography.

I have a Nikon, but for Diving, I started with a Canon V3 2.0 Mega pixel. The images were good, but not perfect. I want something with a zoom, that can also do marco.

I went out and got myself an Olympus 5050, which I recently used in dive trip and it was excellent.

Cheers!

take a look at ikelite.com y'll be able to house that canon for the same or less money than a new wet system will cost. in general - a 36 exposure roll lasts about 1 dive so it's not a big deal. the problem gets worse if you bracket the hell out of things, or shotgun :)

before you start photography underwater work on your bouyency skills!!!

technicly underwater isn't any different from surface stuff. but to get a good pix requires exellent bouyency. you should be able to hang in the water column at any attitude you choose without haveing to think about it. you should also be able to hover without moving up or down.
a little tip - if the subject is close to the bottom, remember it's a 3 dimensional world you don't have to be feet down. stand on your head! turn the camera rightside up and with practice in "sculling" you can get within 1" of the bottom without stiring up the bottom.

Comparison,

I recently became interested in U/W Photo, and had the same question, as I was used to Atmospheric photography, and owned a Canon EOS as well. I thought that I would just get a housing for the Canon, and I would be ready for U/W novice work. After checking into the pricing for a housing to fit the Canon Camera, I quickly learned that I could buy the Camara (Olym 5050), Two 256 Cards (CF-XD), Warranty (5 yrs), Insurance (annual), Moisture Munchers, and Oly PT-015 U/W Housing, much less than just purchasing the single housing for the Canon EOS. I chose to learn the digi for hydrospheric photo's.

Search,

I found that by doing a search on this and other sites, that there is almost infinite info that can be obtained and answer almost any question that you will have to get started.

safe diving=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom