Entry level drysuit sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NuttyGambler

Reaction score
I am hoping to order an entry level drysuit via the sizing charts.
Will be used for AOW dives. Maybe 4 to 10 times per year.

I am
6'0 (without shoes) tall
33 to 34" waist
40" chest
180 lbs

Looking at the
Viking - X-treme (03 - unclear if I need to get a WIDE in the US)
Whites - Nexus Shell 2003 (L - have tall sizes but this looks OK)
Aqualung - Nordic Pro (L)
Bare - D7 SUPRA DRY or Nex-Gen (MLT which is nice)

These are listed in order of preference if they fit well. BUT, it seems the EU suits (Viking and Aqualung) you are really limited to stockier suits. I know the fit in the middle (belly and chest) isn't as important in a drysuit vs wet. But, I am afraid that to get to my height I would need to have a 44 to 48' chest.

Or am I all "wet"?

Thoughts would be great.

All of the brands/models you've mentioned are good suits. But when you putting out that amount of money for a good product, spending the extra few hundred dollars for a custom fit is well worth it. Not only will custom reduce the chance of an odd squeeze, but you will enjoy your purchase much more.

I have the White's Catalyst model custom fitted. And it fits/dives like a dream.

So my advice would be to go custom fit. Oh, and add thigh pockets on both sides.

I understand custom, but do not consider myself much out of normal, basic athletic fit. Given some manufactures have me right in their sights, I guess I could/should limit my choices to them.

Besides, I am hoping to get it quickly and don't want to wait the extra time of a custom cut.

Talk to Bob3 (on this board) about the Viking. He's also a Northern Diver dealer and got me a great suit at an even better price. He won't let you down, and his prices are probably the best you will find.

Yeah I like the price, but from the chart it doesn't look like it will fit me worth a dang, especially if only the WIDE is available in the USA.

I'm on the road & don't have my "real" size charts with me. (I developed my own):wink:
Keep in mind that the difference between a 40" suit and a 46" suit amounts to a 1.5" pinch of material on each side. Not all that much when you're talking shell type drysuits.

I recently purchased a Viking Pro 1000 and had the same issue.

My dimensions are

Ht 6'5"
Waist 38"
Chest 46"
Wt 235 lbs.

This put me on the high end of a Viking size 4 and the very low end of a 4W. Taking underwear into account the LDS owner advised the 4W size. He also based this recommendation on the fact that he wears a size 4 viking and I'm significantly taller than he is (although he's bigger around the middle). Well the 4W was way too big i.e. think Michelin Man (BTW try the thing on before you cut the seals).
Turns out the 4 fit great.

Lesson try the suit on first.

If you have an athletic build, I'd be inclined to go without the wide size.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom