Entry level dive camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drasnian

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, this is my first time posting, and I'm just hoping for some advice. My other half's birthday is coming up, and I was thinking of putting some money towards a camera for him (or buying one outright depending on the price).

He's so far qualified to Rescue Diver and has only managed to do a tiny bit of underwater photography with a hired camera. If I can find a camera, it's upcoming uses will be during some courses in the UK, and then for a trip to Zanzibar in the summer (shallow dives for research, mostly <10m).

I don't honestly have a clue what I'm looking for, so I've mostly been just browsing through online and picking things that jump out at me! I've so far looked at the following five, and I'm just looking for some thoughts (good, bad or indifferent!) about them.

- Intova Sport HD II Waterproof Video Camera
- Intova IC-16
- Sealife Mini 2
- Canon Ixus 132 & Ikelite housing
- Fuji F660 EXR Underwater Bundle

These five range from £160 - £299. This seems like a very cheap price for an underwater camera which makes me a bit apprehensive but obviously I'm not expecting an amazing technical camera for that price.

Please feel free to point me in the direction of any models you'd recommend because I don't honestly have a clue what sort of features I'm looking for! I'm just hoping to find a reasonably budget friendly, entry-level camera for him to experiment with (and hopefully enjoy!) and potentially upgrade later.

Thanks in advance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom