Entering New Zealand with dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devin95

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello

I gonna travel to New Zealand in autumn. I'd like to carry my howl dive equipment (exempt tanks and weights) with me.

I did read about the strict entry regulations of sport gear in New Zealand. How does it work with diving equipment? Did someone any experience with this? Where there any problems? What factors are important?

Last edited:
Hi, i reside in NZ and have been in and out of the country several times with dive gears and so far there has been no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue with sporting gear is if it has dirt/soil on it, as it may contain nasties that can do damage to the local agricultural industries and native wildlife. Same as in Australia. Dive gear isn't an issue :)

No problem at all. NZ does have some issue with fresh water contamination of dive gear which affects fish. On my return to OZ I was asked if I dived in fresh water as they may make you decontaminate your gear on returning home if you have dived fresh water streams.

devin-I travel a lot from NZ with dive gear. There is no issue with clean dive gear. BUT- do declare you have the dive gear.Even though its not an issue they still need to know you are bringing it in.
My advice though. Do carry your regulators in your hand luggage. Baggage handlers can be a rough bunch and arriving with a busted computer can ruin your trip especially if they are a bit exotic.
MOST kiwi tanks are Yoke valve so it pays to advise the dive operator you will be diving with if you are a DIN diver.-its no big issue theres usually a couple of din valve tanks with screw in inserts.

I learnt last week... Dry wetsuit is OK, damp wetsuit can apparently carry bugs - mine got taken off me for a 'complementary' wash. No real hassle but try and have your gear completely dry if possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom