Entangled Loose SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Found this on FB:

I've heard stories of giant clams being so large they could swallow a diver.....but I never realized how dangerous they could be, until today. I was working on one of our restoration projects at Anantara, next to a giant clam. I didn't realize my depth gauge was not secured....until it was "swallowed" by the clam. I waited about 15 minutes for it to open back up, to no avail. My air supply was low, so I had to ditch my gear and swim to the surface. Fortunately, my buddy was able to free my gear 30 minutes later.

his buddy has a loose SPG on the pics as well :)

Coral Reef CPR

7D3670C9-C1C9-4605-931B-B7892E3A39FC.jpeg

That's one reason I carry short hose (24") and small diameter (1/4") HP hose for SPG, running along my shoulder strap & clip it over chest D-ring to avoid entanglement. If it were entangled, I have dive knife to cut the hose off.

The HP hose has small orifice at the 1st stage regulator end. So I would have time to safely ascent with the HP hose cut off, as shown in the video, below.

Found this on FB:

his buddy has a loose SPG on the pics as well :)

Coral Reef CPR
Kind of sad that someone working on coral restoration is not more proactive in gear setup to avoid dangly bits!!! The buddy is no better as you pointed out as well - geez!

I ditched my SPG and use dual transmitters/dual computers as I never liked the extra bulk and having to clip an SPG on and off.

I ditched my SPG and use dual transmitters/dual computers as I never liked the extra bulk and having to clip an SPG on and off.
Without criticising

The ability to clip on and off, whether an spg, or smb or anything else, shouldn't be an issue. During AoW as part of buoyancy I get students to do all this, be able to find their d rings, open and close pockets etc. It shouldn't be task loading (but often is) and certainly shouldn't be a hassle.

Being able to manage simple tasks automatically should be natural.

I dive AI and SPG (unless in SM where AI serves little benefit to me) but that's my choice.

That’s a better option, especially since I plan to mount my reg upside down. Currently the right-side up mounting makes the reg sitting up high and the back of my head occasionally touching the top of the reg when I do the backroll entry from a dinghy.

View attachment 551212

That's one reason I carry short hose (24") and small diameter (1/4") HP hose for SPG, running along my shoulder strap & clip it over chest D-ring to avoid entanglement. If it were entangled, I have dive knife to cut the hose off.

The HP hose has small orifice at the 1st stage regulator end. So I would have time to safely ascent with the HP hose cut off, as shown in the video, below.

Meanwhile your octo is Safety secured and hidden away.....just saying maybe consider another option for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom