Engress Octo Reg or HOG Classic Octo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Evan Soon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am purchasing my Reg set but am wondering what to use as an octo, I know there are people who would say that AIR is better due to a reduction in hoses and so on but for me its financial and practicality.

The Engress seems to be an OEM and well doesn't look as good. Plus I would be paying an extra $66 for international delivery for it. On the other hand I could get the HOG Classic for the same price as the Engress but without delivery charges. I like the concept of not having an extra hose but is it really worth $66(and the Engress is not that "pretty").

Any opinions on this? I know its kind of a personal preference but I would like to hear what others have to say before I make a purchase later on.

Thanks in advance

The Egress is balanced second stage and breathes well for a puck style reg. The Egess has the advantages that it is fairly small, light and has no up or down orientation in use which means that there is no need make sure that the exhaust tee is down when handing it off. I do not think it would be a realy good cold water reg but I don't think you will have to worry about cold water.
The Egress does have some advantages in a Rescue or DM class because it has no up or down side to worry about in reg transfers.

I have no personal experience with the Hog reg but have heard good things about it.

I used to own an Aqualung equivalent of the "Egress". It worked but nothing special. Personally I'd buy the HOG of the two you've listed.

Thanks.

I think I will go with the HOG as I wouldn't want to pay extra $66 for it.

The Egress is not an integrated octo/inflator like an Air 2, so you will not save a hose. Buy the HOG instead, your buddies will thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom