Engines - Automotive History - Racing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This is a split from the What IS engine Braking thread.

NetDoc has started down a path only a few old-timers will appreciate.
He asked:

NetDoc:
I can't count how many side draft (DCOE) and down draft Webers I installed. I still have a collection of emulsion tubes, main jets and idle jets for the 32/36 dg/f series carbs that were cheap replacements for so many imports. I still have my snychro adapters for all of them as well as the manometers and flow meters to do the job.

BTW, what did the PCV valve replace and what ELSE had to be fitted to engines to make them work?

If you remember correctly, we had to replace the crankcase vent cap, and add a plate (to capture engine vacuum) on some models.. Blah blah blah..

Also asked was

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaTexan
Does Offy refer to the Offenhauser engines like they used to run at Indy?
NetDoc:
Offenhauser was famous for their manifolds, blowers and turbos. They made a dual plenum manifold for the progressive carburetors that was really hot for it's time. I had one on my 81 Toy truck with the 22R engine, Weber 32/36 dge carb and a cam that was slightly profiled by a cam company out of Jacksonvill... Schooler???

The answer is yes. The legendary Offenhauser engine was used at Indy for many years. After other engines became more realiable and more powerful, Offenhauser continued to make aftermarket performance parts for consumers.

However, In my mind, none of the circle racing boys could compete with a Keith Black engine. Remember Hank the Crank? These boys knew how to make horsepower. I fondly remember the days of TV Tommy Ivo, Don Garlits and my personal favorite, Wild Willie Borsch and his AA/FA winged express! Now that’s racing! Nothing else comes close.

Thallassamania, The side draft webers are simple. Try doing six 48ida’s on a 12cly 917. The 917 was the finest engine ever manufactured in the world. IMHO (But a 8 cyl KB motor still made more HP!)

Dave

If you want classic hp: nothing compares to the turbo era of F1.

More specifically the Mclaren/TAG-Porsche team.

Back
Top Bottom