Endangered Whales Feeding Frenzy Near Popular Dive Spot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw at least two separate whales swimming off Block Island on Wednesday afternoon. I was too distant to identify a species, but there were two distinct sprays of water from the blowholes numerous times. Once or twice you could see a body leaving the water slightly, but not enough to see clearly. They were very close to the island, too.

LobstaMan

I saw at least two separate whales swimming off Block Island on Wednesday afternoon.

Cool! I have seen atlantic white sided dolphins out there but I've never gotten lucky enough to see a whale (at least not in RI waters)! Any idea what kind they were?

As for the right whale story, that's pretty neat! Thanks for posting that.

This is a little bit of a tangent, but it is related to right whales and I found it amusing....

A couple of weeks ago, I was at a talk by one of the NOAA Scientists (Dr. Sofie Van Parijs) who works on the passive acoustic studies of marine mammals they do in the Stellwagen Bank area. One part I found somewhat amusing is that the local humpback whales have learned to mimic right whale calls (although not well enough that they can't identify when it is a humpback doing it).

Cool! I have seen atlantic white sided dolphins out there but I've never gotten lucky enough to see a whale (at least not in RI waters)! Any idea what kind they were?

No idea. They were too far away to tell what kind they were, but they were certainly whales. The spouts or sprays were going quite a distance into the air and were visible from a long way off. Disturbances at the surface indicated body parts were breaking the surface, but like I said, we were too far away to tell if they were heads, backs or fins of whales. I seem to be pretty lucky with that sort of thing. Years ago when I was on a dive charter returning from the Channel Islands off Santa Barbara, CA, I saw a grey whale jump completely out of the water and splash down(breaching?) not too far from the boat. That was an impressive sight.

LobstaMan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom