EMT shears that do not rust (very much)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Carcharodon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I take a cutting tool on my dives and my preferred choice is EMT shears. The shears, or really the rivet that holds to two sides of the shears together, rusts and fails after not too many dives. I do try to wash them and slow this down but it seems to be a losing battle. Does anyone have a suggestion for corrosion resistant shears? The shears are not terribly expensive so replacing them is not an issue but having them fail when they are really needed is.

There is no such thing as anything that sits in salt water but yet does not rust . The key to to slow the process. What I do is buy the cheaper version of the shears so that I can feel good about replacing them as needed and then coat the metal area with silicon grease and then put them back in the sheath. The grease slows down the rust but two places you need to check are the pins at the blade connection point and the handle area. More than once have I pulled them pre dive to have them fall apart in my hands which is why I try to make it a practice to at least pull them out and look at them pre dive. They would last a lot longer if I was good at pulling them rinsing them post dive then drying them and regreasing them but I just change them out every 6 weeks or so (lots of dive time in that 6 weeks)

Herb

They're not designed for underwater use. Above water, if they get used, the blades will dull (requiring replacement) long before the rivet fails. Underwater... they rust. That's what they do.

Here's an ebay listing wherein you can get them for less than $1 each:

50 7 25" Paramedic EMT Trauma Shears Scissors First Aid | eBay

Years ago - when I worked for a drug company - we bought 100,000 pairs of trauma shears as a promotional give-away item for doctor's offices. Between the time we ordered them and and the time they arrived (literally via slow-boat from China) the pharma industry outlawed such promotional items.

We donated most of them to various groups... and I only have 500 pairs or so left myself.

Reactions: Jax
The ones sold by DGX are titanium nitride coated so aren't as prone to rusting although careful attention needs to be paid to the rivet as that will rust. I have had two pairs for a number of years and neither are showing any signs of rust bar the odd surface rusting of the rivet. I rinse mine after every dive and periodically apply a light coating of food grade silicone. All good.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 10:35 PM ----------

https://www.divegearexpress.com/tools/daisychain.shtml

instead of EMT shears try Fiskars pruners ( right that model - i have them 5 years ) and compare them then : shears vs pruners :wink: (starting with hair and then from fishing lines to fishing net and anchor rope 15mm thick )

also very positive it is that the lower blade is not a realy blade and it is curved in front ( can go under neoprene suit without cutting yourself )

These are the best that I have found. Not the cheapest or most expensive. I carry them daily, in and out of the water. I have contacted the web site to see if they could source a retention sheath for diving. They thought it was a good idea, but I haven't seen one yet. They have full size and compact size.

CountyComm - Compact Trauma Shears

CountyComm - EMT Shears

The ones sold by DGX are titanium nitride coated so aren't as prone to rusting although careful attention needs to be paid to the rivet as that will rust. I have had two pairs for a number of years and neither are showing any signs of rust bar the odd surface rusting of the rivet. I rinse mine after every dive and periodically apply a light coating of food grade silicone. All good.

---------- Post added May 6th, 2015 at 10:35 PM ----------

https://www.divegearexpress.com/tools/daisychain.shtml

I have had these for a couple years (100+ dives) and they are holding up well (a bit of rust, but still functional). When they do go, I'll replace the shears cheap, but I'll retain the sheath. I really like it. Multiple attachment points, nice and snug, and with the velcro lanyard I've never had them come loose (above or below the water). YMMV. The MSM looks good too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom