Suggestion employment / internship board?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Scuba-Jay

Scuba-Jay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Im sure this idea has been introduced before and equally sure that there is a good reason for its refusal, but might it be an idea to create a board for perspective employers to list open diving positions? I for one am a new DM looking for work overseas, and i think it would be helpfull to have a cental location to search for jobs, rather than having to dig through the various sites on the net. This is the worlds largest diving community!! As a sub-section, it might also be an idea to allow organizations who have internships (both paid and unpaid) to list openings. Just a thought!!

( =

Jay

Lol thanks netdock. Might i ask that you delete this post now, in order to avoid my being laughed at repeatedly for weeks to come?

You have no idea how many people might have this SAME question! Best to leave it up for others to learn with you.

:sblogo: is a huge forum. There was no way for you to know about that forum without asking. There is no shame in that! :D

NetDoc:
You have no idea how many people might have this SAME question! Best to leave it up for others to learn with you.

:sblogo: is a huge forum. There was no way for you to know about that forum without asking. There is no shame in that! :D

He's right, Jay, it was news to me!! Thanks!!

I just have to keep DH from finding it, lest he get any ideas... :no

Heh doesn't seem to be a hugely popular board, does it? ( = I would have thought with 70k some divers, many of whom are pro and operators, there would have been interest in a thread like that, but if you have a look, nada, zilch!!! Maybe we could advertise it a little more?? ( =

Jay

Yeah, I was surprised, too. Maybe it's because a bunch of us are purely recreational. I don't know what the make-up of the group is, so I could be way off.

I know that while DH and I would love to work in the scuba/diving field, at this point we're just working so we can pay for the scuba/diving thing...

In any forum, some things work, and others work less well. It's incredibly hard to put the needed emphasis on each and every facet of our board. Especially during this time of year, many if not most dive shops are in hibernation mode.

The other factor, is the duality of DMs. The DMs at your favorite dive charter are not neccesarily certified as such by an agency. In fact many DMs exchange their services for a free ride out. Captains find their DMs by watching who keeps coming on their boats and with whom they have a good relationship with. It's just that simple.

Now instructors are another matter, and they still seem to be a dime a dozen in some areas. Go figure.

NetDoc:
In any forum, some things work, and others work less well. It's incredibly hard to put the needed emphasis on each and every facet of our board. Especially during this time of year, many if not most dive shops are in hibernation mode.

The other factor, is the duality of DMs. The DMs at your favorite dive charter are not neccesarily certified as such by an agency. In fact many DMs exchange their services for a free ride out. Captains find their DMs by watching who keeps coming on their boats and with whom they have a good relationship with. It's just that simple.

Now instructors are another matter, and they still seem to be a dime a dozen in some areas. Go figure.

That makes sense....and I have a guess that many of the more remote diving operations aren't particularly 'connected' to all things internet. And if they are, they might not realize how valuable something like SB is.

But yeah, the job searches and employee searches are likely more localized....and less published. It's one of those, "Hey, I know a guy....and do you know of anyone, etc...."

No complaints here....just an observation... :D

Helooo!

Well i thought since im now an instructor we might revisit the idea of giving this thread a little more visibility? Could it not be added as a "stand alone" forum with the title of "employment board" or something of that nature...giving Ops with employment needs somewhere to post, and maybe dive pros somewhere to put their resume and location?? Im tellin' ya i think it would work..look at the padi pro forum and also diversjobs.com....!!

Back
Top Bottom