Emergency O2 Cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can get oxygen at any welding store. I do it all the time. Yes, the same stuff, no, you won't die if you breathe it.

But you are a diver, right? We see the value of self-discipline.

Take a nitrox course, then take Advanced EANx. Just about the same cost, but you will be ever so much further ahead...

It's just a way for them to make money.

We use similar O2 delivery systems in all the Hospitals I've worked in. You don't need to spend $$$$$$$$$ to get one, just spend $$. Obviously take an O2 course, like the DAN DEMP course for instance. And Rescue diver is helpful too.

But no need to spend tons of money on a tank. Get a pelican case large enough for the O2 tank you intend to use, have a valve and valve wrench, then tubing and mask plus nasal cannula. Voila!

Spend another $50 and get a finger O2 sensor to measure O2 Saturation as well.

quick rough break down
$650 for their base O2 kit

$150-Pelican 1600 case
$150-Jumbo D cylinder with valve
$30-O2 regulator
$300-Demand Valve regulator
$50-misc stuff for the non rebreather mask, oronasal mask, gloves, etc.

These are quick google search prices for stuff online. If you piece it together it is going to be about the same if not more than what DAN charges. Obviously they're still making a bit of money because they're buying wholesale, but the packages are not out there to rip you off because it isn't in DAN's best interest to discourage people from having the kits. While expensive, they are trying to put together comprehensive packages to make sure that you have everything you need and put it in a case that will keep everything protected and consolidated.

DAN sells just O2 cylinders for $100 (Jumbo D) and $80 (M9). You reference the full DAN kit prices but link to only cylinders. Not an accurate price comparison. The Grainger cylinder prices are higher than DAN's prices.

You can get O2 cylinders and regulators elsewhere for less cost. Most of the less expensive kits do not include a demand valve regulator, only adjustable constant flow. For some people getting a comprehensive kit with a demand valve or MTV in one purchase is worth paying the additional cost.

In my opinion getting a demand valve reg is not incredibly important, except to conserve some amount of O2, PERHAPS. Nonetheless, in my 8 years of using O2 in emergency cases (rough estimate of patients maybe 4,000-5,000 people), I've never used a demand reg valve. Nonetheless, others may have.
YMMV.

I've priced out the package to approx $200-250 usd depending more on the case than the tank.

I've been wondering whether there is any real reason to get the medical cylinders and regulators rather than just use an O2 clean SCUBA cylinder, valve, and regulator, which would cost less and possibly serve other useful purposes.

If I carry O2, it will be for use by divers who are awake and conscious but suffering from DCI. I can't imagine that breathing through a SCUBA mouthpiece (rather than a medical cannula or mask) would be a serious problem for people in that situation.

Home (Desktop)

if you don't care about the demand valve or the MTV-100 *firm believer in the MTV-100, firm opponent of the demand valve*, or believe that if they are conscious then use a regular regulator, if they are unconscious then use a BVM, then I'd recommend the product above. Connects to any standard bc QD hose on any regulator and gives you constant flow out of that tank. Roughly $100 for them

Cave Adventurers - complete stage kit - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
$550 for that which gives you all of the stuff you need for an O2 bottle except the QD hose, so for $670 you have a full O2 deco bottle with the rescuean that can be used on any tank. Nitrox is better than ambient in an emergency, so I'd rather have something like the RescuEAN where it can go anywhere than a dedicated O2 kit where I'm SoL when it's empty

Sounds like a couple of potentially good options!

Of course, using your O2 as deco leaves you none topside, but everyone had to balance out their options individually.

depends on how you plan your decompression and whether or not you have a dedicated cylinder topside. Point is, for roughly the same money you can get an AL80 or a jump D. The 80 can be filled at any dive shop with O2 vs. needing the special adapter for the oxy regulator, allows you to use any O2 clean first stage you have around, and if you plan your deco right, you should still have ample gas to use it for medical use. Jumbo D holds 22cf, so if you plan for your deco to come up with an AL80 anywhere above 1000psi, you have more gas than the oxygen tank. That gives you roughly 30 minutes of O2 decompression time, which is quite a bit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom