Emergency--lost P-valve plug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My P-valve has one of those screw in plugs with the holes in it. When I want to use it, I unscrew it to the point that the holes in the shaft are exposed.

I was hanging my suit to dry tonight and noticed I had lost the plug. I have no replacement, and I am supposed to dive in the morning. If I "charge" the hose just before the dive, will I be OK? Or am I putting myself at risk for a UTI?

I will be diving fresh water in a cave.

As long as your catheter doesn't doesn't fail it isn't a problem. I used to leave mine open from the beginning of the dive to the end, with a non balanced simple bolt. You could also throw an o-ring on a bolt and seal it up.

FWIW I stored my bolt in my wetnotes so I would never loose it.

yes - 'charge' it, and as long as you don't have a pop-off, you'll be fine.

Look at it this way -- leaving the valve open is not much different from diving in a wetsuit :)

UTIs from catheters are much more related to backflow of urine from the resistance of voiding through a long, thin tube than they are exposure to sea water.

You'll be in a world of hurt with a popoff or disconnect, though -- I hope this is a recreational dive?

Thanks, folks.

I did two dives at Madison Blue today. They were wonderful dives. As I descended the platform on each dive I charged the system and had zero problems.

The reason I as concerned was that I had a friend whose suit flooded during a dive, he had a malfunction in his balancing chamber, got the flooded water into the system, and he got a UTI that was painful to watch, let alone be a part of. He ahd the same brand P-valve as I.

Ah so you are the gentleman from Colorado I was talking with at the table!

P valve bolts are for people who wear non- Rochester wideband catheters or who want to snag the line :wink: my bolt lives in my wetnotes.

Ah so you are the gentleman from Colorado I was talking with at the table!

You know, when you mentioned where you were from, etc., I was suspicious and almost said something. Sorry I didn't!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom