Embrace a New Double Hose Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John C. Ratliff

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Underwater Photographers need to get close to their subjects, especially for macro photography of small fishes and invertebrates. Fishes especially are skittish of divers, primarily because of the breathing noises and bubbles from their modern, "single hose" regulators. I have done a lot of photography in freshwater rivers where I need to get close to small fishes, and have found that my vintage double hose regulators work extremely well to get me close to these fishes without disturbing them. Now, a new double hose regulator is hoping to be available, but it needs funding. So I encourage you to get involved in the development of this regulator.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sea-wolf-mk5-double-hose-dhr-diving-regulator

A lot of underwater photographers are turning to rebreather technology to get close to their subjects. This is a risky proposition, as combining underwater photography with rebreathers can place a higher load on the diver, and make the diver vulnerable to some of the inherent defects of the rebreather system. If you are looking at rebreathers for your underwater photography, please head over to these two sites, one on Scubaboard and one on Vintage Scuba Supply, to examine the risks of this equipment. These sites are The Rebreather Mentality and Potential Safety Improvements in Rebreathe Design. You may wish to use the money you would have spent on a rebreather/training for rebreather to instead fund this new double hose regulator for the 21st Century.

If you are interested in this new regulator, and consider the double hose as a safe alternative to rebreathers for underwater photography, please also go to our Facebook Website on the Sea Wolf Mk5 Double Hose Regulator. Here are some examples of photographs I have been able to shoot while using a the Mossback Mk3 double hose regulator, which is the predecessor to the Mossback Mk5 Sea Wolf.

SeaRat

Attachments

• John Adjusts camera in Big Cliff.jpg
    John Adjusts camera in Big Cliff.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 243
  • Small-mouth bass.jpg
    Small-mouth bass.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Sculpin on stick 05.jpg
    Sculpin on stick 05.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 192
  • Sculpin on leaf 05.jpg
    Sculpin on leaf 05.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Bass Portrait.jpg
    Bass Portrait.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 152
Most likely, not a thing. Go to the VSS page on this and have a fun time. All 3 of those guys over there are promoting this idea at a donation cost of $125,000. The Argonaut is as good as a double hose can get.

Just curious, what makes this better than the new Argonaut Kraken that was released not too long ago?

1. The Mk3 introduced the low profile (thin) first stage because it didn't start out as a modification of the USD Titan first stage.
2. Quality of the design... Ask anybody who has one how well the Mk3 breathes... There are 18 of them out there. The Mk3 was a proof of concept prototype. And the reason it breathes so well is the patented IP plenum chamber.
3.The Mk5 Sea Wolf will have a super strong can and mouthpiece......advanced, reduced turbulent air flow system and a improved IP plenum chamber.
[FONT=&amp]4. Is there room for another double hose? Well shoot, is there room for another single hose on the market? How about room for another pickup truck or cell phone or wide screen TV? This is America and anyone who's afraid of a little competition should think bigger.

[/FONT]

I was just asking what they were going to be able to do better than Argonaut that's all. If the answer is "we have a better design", then sure, but if it was just someone trying to bring another double hose to the market, it probably wouldn't work so well.... I'll donate, just to keep innovation going, will be interested to try one when they come out.

Most likely, not a thing. Go to the VSS page on this and have a fun time. All 3 of those guys over there are promoting this idea at a donation cost of $125,000. The Argonaut is as good as a double hose can get.

The start up funds of $125,000.00 included all the processes involved in design and manufacturing etc. Visit my campaign site for the budget break down (a pie chart).
Granted I was over ambitious with this wanting everything up front to start, therefore a part two campaign to fund the mouthpiece design will be coming forth soon. That part of the project just needs molds built and prototypes made for evaluation then on to the cans.

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 11:09 AM ----------

I was just asking what they were going to be able to do better than Argonaut that's all. If the answer is "we have a better design", then sure, but if it was just someone trying to bring another double hose to the market, it probably wouldn't work so well.... I'll donate, just to keep innovation going, will be interested to try one when they come out.

To answer you......not just better, highly advanced.

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 11:10 AM ----------

While I wish you luck in your exciting endeavor, I think you're going to need a different slogan than "Buy my Double Hose, because a rebreather will kill you". What are the unique Features & Benefits of YOUR product & Technology ? What's DIFFERENT about YOUR product & Technology ?

Sorry, but my experience tells me that a double hose OC reg that moves exhaust bubbles a couple of feet further away from a fish will not exactly allow "up close and personal" encounters. I have been close to fish on CCR and if there is an OC diver anywhere near me, the fish will scatter. If a photographer wants to get close, rebreather technology is there. It is probably the fastest growing segment of the industry, with the possible exception of sidemount. This new development seems to fly in that face of that and promote retro. No thanks.

While I wish you luck in your exciting endeavor, I think you're going to need a different slogan than "Buy my Double Hose, because a rebreather will kill you". What are the unique Features & Benefits of YOUR product & Technology ? What's DIFFERENT about YOUR product & Technology ?

A double hose, no matter who's you prefer is only the fraction of the cost of a rebreather, the training and maintenance. The death rate of a rebreather user is also astounding high compared to OC, including a double hose. See "searats" comments on the rebreather forum.
There is a difference of opinion on the ability to get close and personal with sea life using a double hose.....and a lot less work for the diver using a single or rebreather.

However, a double hose is not for everyone.......that's the beauty of freedom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom