Elphinstone - Dive Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roy_W

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks,

I will heading of to Coraya Bay, just north of Marsa Alam in May, we are a group of divers, some PADI, some CMAS ( some both).

For the 1st week will be doing shore dives and we also have the possibility of doing Elphinstone as a day trip ( it's only 20kms from the coast, so it can easily be reached by zodiac).

One of the local dive shops is asking for "Deep Sea Dive speciality" for the PADI divers, I can understand the need for Deep Speciality for the OWD divers but why should they need the Deep Speciality for the AOWD divers. I was always under the impression that dives were limited to 30m in Egypt. ( Not accounting for the Liveaboards).

Can anyone advise whether or not the Deep Speciality is really required for the AOWD divers. ( AOWD is the smallest level amongst us and I believe that they are allowed to dive to 30m without any problem.)l

Here is a word for word transcript of a message from the Dive Shop :

"Elphinstone is the highlight of the Red Sea. Here you have the best chance to see hammerhead sharks and longimanus (oceanic white tip sharks).

Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays we offer trips to Elphinstone with our big boat from Port Ghalib, starting at 7am at the dive center. Lunch and drinks are included.

You need to have an OWD + Deep Diver certification or AOWD (must include with Deep Specialty) and a minimum of 50 logged dives to dive here.".

<Wrong Statement deleted - Thanks to David Novo for spotting >

Coraya Divers requirements for trip to Elphinstone reads:
Erfahrungslevel für Elphinstone ab AOWD/**/Silber oder Deep Specialty und mindestens 50 im Logbuch eingetragene Tauchgänge.
which translates to
Experience level for Elphinstone above AOWD/**/Silver or Deep Specialty and a minimum of 50 logged dives.
I understand this as you need either (PADI AOWD or CMAS ** or SSI Silver level) or (a Deep Speciality from any other organisation and 50 dives on the clock).

I would contact them again with the experience profile of each participant and explicitely ask who can do the Elphinstone trip.

That's a strange statement: the Deep Speciality is included in the AOWD curriculum:
PADI AOWD
There are two required dives – Deep and Underwater Navigation – and you choose the other three, for a total of five dives.
So, if you've got your PADI AOWD brevet you should have had your Deep Speciality.

I am pretty sure this is not true. You get a deep adventure dive on PADI AOWD, not the speciality. You still need to complete the rest of the requirements to get the latter.

Usual requirements asked in Egypt, AOWD or CMAS ** and 50 dives minimum.

Nearly every time I'm in the red sea, I see people not complying these requirements accepted on such destinations as Elphinstone or liveaboards...

If you have a card with VISA written on it, it's often enough....

That doesn't mean you'll be automatically accepted, but it helps....

The local divemaster will evaluate your capacities during the shore dives, he will tell you if it's ok or not.

Hi Folks,

I will heading of to Coraya Bay, just north of Marsa Alam in May, we are a group of divers, some PADI, some CMAS ( some both).

For the 1st week will be doing shore dives and we also have the possibility of doing Elphinstone as a day trip ( it's only 20kms from the coast, so it can easily be reached by zodiac).

One of the local dive shops is asking for "Deep Sea Dive speciality" for the PADI divers, I can understand the need for Deep Speciality for the OWD divers but why should they need the Deep Speciality for the AOWD divers. I was always under the impression that dives were limited to 30m in Egypt. ( Not accounting for the Liveaboards).

Can anyone advise whether or not the Deep Speciality is really required for the AOWD divers. ( AOWD is the smallest level amongst us and I believe that they are allowed to dive to 30m without any problem.)l

Here is a word for word transcript of a message from the Dive Shop :

"Elphinstone is the highlight of the Red Sea. Here you have the best chance to see hammerhead sharks and longimanus (oceanic white tip sharks).

Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays we offer trips to Elphinstone with our big boat from Port Ghalib, starting at 7am at the dive center. Lunch and drinks are included.

You need to have an OWD + Deep Diver certification or AOWD (must include with Deep Specialty) and a minimum of 50 logged dives to dive here.".
It's worth contacting them first and letting them know your current experience to see if there's any leeway.

Alternatively, if it really is non-negotiable, find out if you can take your deep spec on the trip. It's quite common for Red Sea dive guides to be instructors and offer specialty courses on board.

Guys I got a strange response from them, I will post my email first and then their response, what do you think, I really don't understand their response

My Email
Hi Guys,

We are a group of 4 divers, coming to Coraya Bay in May. We will definately be using your services for our diving and we also like to include Elphinstone during our stay .

I have understood that you normally require AOW + Deep Speciality ( +50 dives) for Elphinstone. 2 People in our group have AOW + 50 dives but they do not yet have the Deep Speciality.

Would it be possible for us to all go diving together and limit the dive to 30m ? This would allow us all to dive together in Elphinstone.

I know that some of the other Dive Shops do not require the Deep Speciality but we would prefer to do all of our diving with you.

Can you please confirm of the idea of limiting our dive group to 30m would be ok for you .

Their Response ( I have deleted/removed the other parts of the response which were just the usual commercial, price lists etc.)

"If your friends don´t have a deep speciality there max. depth is 18m. Honestly, Elphinstone doesn´t make sense on 18m. We are not allowed by CDWS to let them dive deeper then 18m ☹ It´s not in our hand. "

Why would they reply that an AOW certificed divers was limited to 18m, that is usually the OW level limit.. ?

I might end up trying to phone them, some of this doesn't make sense, alternatively we will go with Emporer, in any event we have to go to Marsa to get the boat.

As David Novo has suggested, it appears to me there may be some confusion between Deep Speciality and Deep Adventure Dive, that latter of which would be included as a prerequisite for AOW. Possibly lost in translation??
Im guessing you've been in touch with Coraya Divers? I was in Coraya Bay last year and Scuba World nearby required min AOW or equivalent + min 50 dives.

Jsut had a quick look at my Wifes passport. Her AOW training definately included a "Course Deep Dive" which was at 28m. But I definately understand that this is different from the "Deep Dive Speciality" which is a further 4 dives and training.

Choose a different dive centre for Elphinstone if they won't take you, but I do suspect you'll be fine with AOW and have min 50 dives and/or can show you're proficient divers that will be able to handle yourselves at that site.
Don't worry :)

Back
Top Bottom