Elizabeth and Mary shipwreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parche683

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I had the chance to dive the shipwreck of the Elizabeth and Mary, a 17th century 45-tun barque.

I went diving with the man who found the wreck in the shallow waters in front of his house near Baie-Trinite, on the north shore of the St-Lawrence river, Canada. The remains had been uncovered by the so-called Storm of the Century in 1994. I went there a couple years later, as Parks Canada was working on the site. They had their grid frame up, and divers out and about, digging out and recording artefacts. I had the chance to see pots, a fork, musket stocks (very well preserved by the sand and frigid waters in this area) and other such artefacts.

The wreck was mostly buried in sand, and scattered over a large area. It felt more like a field of ruins than a traditional ship hulk.

The Elizabeth and Mary was part of RN Admiral Sir William Phips' fleet, on the way back from attacking Quebec City in 1690. The barque beached in the shallow waters of Baie-Trinite, probably during a storm. It's discovery revealed it is the oldest shipwreck in Quebec yet.

I don't know how far the project is today. I know it has been classified in 1999, but that's it. I now study maritime archeology in college, and I plan to take a deeper look into it as part of my studies. If anyone has details about it, feel free to let me know.

Cheers and be safe.

Back
Top Bottom