Electricity rates in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvrliz1

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Good Day All!

Once again today we were without electricity island wide this morning for a bit.

Anyway, I am in the process of doing some research. The electricity rates on Bonaire have skyrocketed, and I mean REALLY!!!!

Not sure if this is the right forum to put this (mod's please feel free to move if I can get more exposure), but.....

If you live in the Caribbean and or have a second home I would LOVE to know what your price per kilowatt hour is.

It would really help. June's electric bill here on Bonaire has risen just about 50% from last year due to increases from "oil prices", but I am just curious as to how high it has risen on other islands......

Thanks.

Liz

Liz I hear tell that you guys are paying $0.59/kwh. For reference most americans pay about $0.09/kwh. So take your electric bill and multiply by 6 or 7, if you were on Bonaire.

Cecil,

Just did a study for GRI 1st 6 months 2007 vs. 2008. it has actually gone up 50% more or less for the month of June! You are right on the pricing. It is hard to compare apples to oranges from the US to the caribbean, but I am most interested in the caribbean as islands have a similar systems such as desal plants, electrical plants, etc.

If this continues I can only imagine what the cost of food (which is really starting to get hi), as well as room rates, energy surcharges, diving rates (can you imagine the cost of running a compressor here?), as well as boat dives.

Also"gas/oil" fuel went up to 1.75 naf per litre. It was ALWAYS much less then gasoline as the tax was assessed when you purchased your yearly "licence plate tag tax", double the cost of a gasoline car. Now, as it is in the rest of the world, if you figure it out, it is now MORE expensive than gasoline.

Oh well, I will continue my search and see what and why this is all going on.

Liz

Good Day All!

Once again today we were without electricity island wide this morning for a bit.

Anyway, I am in the process of doing some research. The electricity rates on Bonaire have skyrocketed, and I mean REALLY!!!!

Not sure if this is the right forum to put this (mod's please feel free to move if I can get more exposure), but.....

If you live in the Caribbean and or have a second home I would LOVE to know what your price per kilowatt hour is.

It would really help. June's electric bill here on Bonaire has risen just about 50% from last year due to increases from "oil prices", but I am just curious as to how high it has risen on other islands......

Thanks.

Liz

I just got back from the Big Island of Hawaii earlier this month and the electric rate in the Hawaii was approximately $.55 per kilowatt hour (differed from island to island within Hawaii). I believe the energy research person indicated that electricity had gone up $.15 per kilowatt hour just recently.

You could try posting this in the ScubaBoard Hawaii forum.

The Caribbean Islands rely on diesel generators. If the price of diesel goes up, guess what? The price of electricity goes up. In the USVI the price of electricity has almost doubled in the past few months. But they don't raise the per kilowatt price, they just tag fuel surcharges on to your bill. Commercial accounts have suffered the worst. Local dive shops are not just paying up the wazoo for their compressors, but A/C for their shops as well. Not to mention the price of diesel for dive boats. It surprises me that with Bonaire's proximity to cheap fuel in Venezuela that their fuel costs have increased that much (Diesel in Venezuela is about 5 US cents per liter) Does Bonaire have a politician that pissed off Chavez as well?

Last edited:
Prices in Dominican Republic are going up to, but the rate is not the same through the country. When we lived in Cabarete the price was 7 pesos = 0.20 USD (as per today's exchange rate), lots of power outages, when we had the power it wasn't steady, we had to use the big UPS to "clean" the power in our house otherwise all electronics would be a toast in no time - of course the hotels and resorts do not have these problems as they have their own generators.
Now we live in Bayahibe - Dominicus, the power is very good with no interruptions, we do not need to use the UPS system anymore. When we moved here in October last year the price was 9.86 pesos = 0.28 USD and now is 11 pesos = 0.32 USD.

PS
When we lived in Vancouver, BC, Canada, we paid about 3 cents Canadian, and apparently in the past Canadians had power for free, but we didn't live there at that time.

Last edited:
Wow! Just found out that Aruba is 18.5 cents Aruba Florin (we pay 29 NAF) and their surcharge is 30.5 cents AF, ours last bill 52 cents NAF with a promise that it is going up.

Need to find out what an island only 96 miles away is paying almost 30 cents less per KwH.

Liz

I was wondering where Bonaire gets it fuel from? Venezuela? or from the Middle east (or other)?

.55 cents per kwh? wow!

I know it's not a fair comparison to the US, but I'm paying .07456 cents per KWH. Which is up from last year of about 6 cents per KWH.

$0.55 / kwh????

Jeeeeez... I'd be screwed! We pay about $0.08 +/-, and my average bill during the summer is over $325 (many thanks to the kids having their fans -ceiling AND desktop-, tv's, computers, stereos, video games, etc. all running at the SAME @#$%@ TIME!).

At your rate, I'd be over $2,200/month... If it goes that high, this particular household will have it's very own daily blackouts!

Yep guys & gals, really expensive here! It's getting to the point where the only thing cheaper than the states are property taxes, and since we are originally from NJ, car insurance.

Because of the "oil prices" (or so they say), we are expecting MORE increases before the end of the year. Tomorrow I have a meeting where I will present this to our board and see if they can ask the government what is going on.

Thanks.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom