El Toro, Mallorca OC Fatality - August 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gianaameri

Contributor
Reaction score
Juzgado por imprudencia el compañero de una buceadora que murió en El Toro » Noticias » Sucesos » Ultima Hora Mallorca

The judge ruled against the buddy for his "imprudence."

The judge asserted that a buddy with more experience has a duty of care towards a buddy of less experience (although they both had the same certification).

The female (deceased) became scared/uncomfortable at 30 meters and the buddy "to help" inflated her BCD and sent her shooting to the surface causing irreversible injuries and death.

The Guardia Civil (national police) says the survivor lied about the depth and time spent underwater and lacked all the required diving equipment.

Furthermore, the boat was not suitable for diving and there was no surface support (empty boat/no crew...).

Quick and dirty translation - if someone can do better, please go ahead.

The press article is very poorly drafted and it really doesn't give any meaningful information. It merely said that the defendant was prosecuted last Friday (which technically speaking is impossible: the prosecution of a criminal case lasts more than one day; the journalist probably meant that the final hearing took place last Friday). The article doesn't say anything about the verdict. It says other inaccurate things, such as 'oxigen' bottles being used at 30 metres depth...

It would be interesting to read the judgment, once it has been pronounced.

The press article is very poorly drafted and it really doesn't give any meaningful information. It merely said that the defendant was prosecuted last Friday (which technically speaking is impossible: the prosecution of a criminal case lasts more than one day; the journalist probably meant that the final hearing took place last Friday). The article doesn't say anything about the verdict. It says other inaccurate things, such as 'oxigen' bottles being used at 30 metres depth...

It would be interesting to read the judgment, once it has been pronounced.

No, it says the judgement was issued last Friday.

The article says 'fue juzgado este viernes', which is not the same as 'el juez dictó sentencia el viernes' or something along these lines. More than that, the article refers to arguments put forward by the accused and the prosecutor, as well as to some statements by the expert witness from Guardia Civil but, yet again, it doesn't say anything about what the judge said. This, in my opinion, reaffirms my impression that the judge did not deliver any judgment on Friday and, if it did, it is not clearly said in the article.

My two cents as Spanish native speaker and a lawyer for about 25 years now.

The article says 'fue juzgado este viernes', which is not the same as 'el juez dictó sentencia el viernes' or something along these lines. More than that, the article refers to arguments put forward by the accused and the prosecutor, as well as to some statements by the expert witness from Guardia Civil but, yet again, it doesn't say anything about what the judge said. This, in my opinion, reaffirms my impression that the judge did not deliver any judgment on Friday and, if it did, it is not clearly said in the article.

My two cents as Spanish native speaker and a lawyer for about 25 years now.

You are right. The article title threw me off and indeed it does not say "sentencia" anywhere.

It says "Fue' juzgado..."

"Juzgado " = "Judged"

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom