El Senador Cayo Coco

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay Roy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks....
Anyone here been to El Senador in Cayo Coco and done any diving? I'll be heading there in March and want to get some contact numbers or emails so I can start setting some things up....Experiences good or bad will be appreciated as well.
Thanks

Hey Leftwinger,

I stayed at the El Senador resort in January 2004. The dive center is at the Tryp Cayo Coco resort next door (down at the beach) and it's called Coco Diving. They're a smaller, personal dive op and they'll come and pick you up at the El Senador and return you after the dives. I booked through a rep right in the El Senador lobby. You could walk there via the beach but it's quite a hike. The 10-minute drive is much faster, especially if you have your own gear.

I brought my own gear so I can't comment on their rental gear. They seemed to have plenty for the four or five who I saw renting.

I really liked all of the instructors/divemasters I dove with, including Ramon, Pablo, Osvaldo and Hector. Ramon, in particular, went out of his way to give everyone a great diving experience. We visited quite a variety of local sites, all within 10-to-15 minutes by boat. The sites we visited were called Triton, La Finca, El Penon I and II, Los Coloradas and others. Most dives were in the 40 to 75 foot range with a few up to 90 feet (depending on the level of the divers on the boat). The day generally started with two morning dives and an optional afternoon dive. Water temp when I was there (January) was 76 degrees F every day and the viz was usually in the 50-60 foot range.

There's an online review site with lots of info on Cuba, including Cayo Coco resorts and diving: http://www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com/cuba/cuba.html

Enjoy. And I hope you'll post some feedback on your return.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for the info Mike...So what your saying is I need not worry about getting everything setup before I leave...
And I assure you, no rental gear needed:D

When I was there, there was a local rep right in the resort lobby every day, along with the other tour company reps, booking local activities, including scuba diving. On the day I arrived, since I had a few questions about the dive op, the sites, etc, one of the DMs came over to the resort and I had a chance to meet him (it was Osvaldo).

The El Senador has a web site (http://www.el-senador.com/), with a contact e-mail and you could always ping them to see if a rep still books scuba diving on-site and who the dive company is. When I was there it was Coco Diving but I believe there's another local dive op called Blue Diving.

Hi Leftwinger16, I was just at the El Senador in Dec 2005 and I dove with both Coco Dive (from the Tryp Hotel on the left side of El Senador) and with Blue Dive (from the Meila hotel on the right side of El Senador). The hotel itself is very nice, the layout is pretty good and the (live) entertainment seemed a lot better than the resort I stayed at in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. But I'll tell you why we ended up diving with both ops.

From various reviews on www.debbiescaribbeanresortreviews.com we had the impression that Coco dive was the better op so we went with them. We booked 3 dives over two days. First, they refused to pick us up from El Senador so we had to trek across the beach with all of our gear, secondly this ops is kind of untrusting as they almost demanded payment upfront at the end of our first day even though we were going to be leaving thousands of dollars of dive gear behind to dry overnight and they made me go back to the hotel room, get the cash and come back all the while my gf/buddy stayed behind (as collateral??). As for the diving itself what really pissed me off is that they are unaccomodating. My gf was a bit slow getting into the water (backroll entry from their small boat as the big one was being repaired) so instead of waiting, the boat captain pushed her into the water!!! At the time I was already in the water on the opposite side of the boat so I didnt' know and couldn't say anything, I didn't find out later until we were back on shore. At the end of that same dive we came back to the beach and the same boat captain threw our gear into the water and let it float away while we were still gathering up our masks/fins/etc so I had to jump off the boat and chase down our BCDs before they floated away. Needless to say that was our last dive with Coco dive.

At that time I had read so-so reviews about Blue dive so we kind of decided that we wouldn't do anymore diving for the rest of our trip but as luck would have it our jungle excursion was cancelled so we mustered up and called Blue dive. Turns out this was a much better organized and run op in our opinion, the boats went out on time everyday and the DMs were much more friendly. They had new students and seasoned veterans and at no time did the DMs act cocky at all (unlike Coco dive). We were given in depth briefings, and most importantly they took us to much more interesting dive sites!!!

The prices for both are the same but we will never go back to Coco dive at the Tryp hotel, of course there are plenty of other good reviews for this op so YMMV. (and Blue dive will pick you up from the lobby of El Senador).

Back
Top Bottom