El Orans and El Zee's great Kaikoura adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Orans

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Any recommendations for a one day dive trip?

Boat or beach doesn't matter. We'll need to rent gear.

Hopefully Xman sees this...he worked as a Divemaster in Kaikoura
(Kai = food and Koura = Crayfish / Lobster)

I will point him in the right direction. El we can take you for a dive or two if you are around Auckland area at any stage...any excuse to chuck a sickie...PH I couldnt do a sickie the other day because I was so flat out...

Not this trip unfortunately, we'll only be visiting the South Island.

We'll just have to come back another time... :D

Hopefully Xman sees this...he worked as a Divemaster in Kaikoura
(Kai = food and Koura = Crayfish / Lobster)

I will point him in the right direction.

Thanks for the heads up Azza. I used to work for Dive Kaikoura. Look them up if you are wanting to sort out diving/hiring gear in Kaikoura. Ben is great to deal with and will see you right. Scuba Dive Kaikoura New Zealand for scuba diving,snorkling and seal swimming

As far as dives... Barneys rock is a good shore dive. Involves a bit of a surface swim, but a nice dive. Access is about 15 minutes car drive south of the township along the rocky coastline, so will only work if you have your own vehicle.

Alternatively, there is good diving right off the end of the peninsula. Time it for reasonably low tide, walk out over the rocks past the seal colony, and dive in the channels between the rocks.
Depths in the area tend to be 8-15 metres, but quickly drop down if you head out a little. (Barney's rock is about 25m)

feel free to pm me if you have any particular questions or want more specific advice.

Yeh i agree with Xman. Head to Barneys rock, or maybe Southbay both are nice shore dives with easy access. With Barneys rock you are prity much certain to run into seals in the water... they are the best, just dont let them steal your crays! Just a word of caution i was diving up in Kaikoura a few weeks ago and the dive shop is closed for renovations (i think till october). The closest rental shops are either in Christchurch or Blenheim. You might be able to still rent gear from DIVEKAIKOURA but might wanna check ahead. There is a tank fill station in one of the petrol stations north of Kaikoura but no rental gear there. The closest rental shops are either in Christchurch or Blenheim.

I booked with Dive Kaikoura for a dive tour (guided dive, RIB). :)

I also found out that I forgot something. Afterwards, I'll have to cross a mountain pass (1000 feet) going to Christchurch. :blush: It's a good thing that my Suunto has an altitude correction. I'll also be planning the dives with the High Altitude Diving correction tables.

You will be fine with the hills or at least i am every time i dive then drive home to Christchurch. Take care on the road tho, we lose alot of locals to travelers loosing control around the Kaikoura hills (its the view that distracts people).

I have never done an altitude diving course. But I was under the impession that the tables and the altitude profile in the Dive comp are for diving at altitude not for ascending to altitude after a ocean dive.
This was recommended to me by an instructor.

You will be fine with the hills or at least i am every time i dive then drive home to Christchurch. Take care on the road tho, we lose alot of locals to travelers loosing control around the Kaikoura hills (its the view that distracts people).
I know, last time we were over there, neither of us wanted to drive... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom