effects of CO2...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andreas

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

In the thread "Dense air - breathe less?", scubadoc posted a link about CO2-retention where it said this:
"Signs and symptoms that need to be observed are hyperventilation, shortness of breath and tachycardia (rapid heart beat), headache and excessive sweating, mental impairment and finally , unconsciousness. ".
I think you can clearly call me a CO2-retainer, 'cause during normal rest I exhale a concentration of >6% CO2. But I also constantly have a very hard and rapid heartbeat (to the point of it actually being annoying). Can my high levels of CO2 be the cause of this?

I also tend to sweat exsessively although I'm resting and am not even especially varm, can the CO2 be the cause of this also?? (I assure you it's not because of bad physical shape!)
I am also often much warmer than most people are, and this I firmly belive is caused by the high levels of CO2 in me all the time.

Can someone please give me some educated thoughts on all this?

(and just to get rid of some "funny" remarks, I am 182 centimeters tall and weigh about 75 kilos.)

Thanks.
/Andreas

It is true that CO2 symptoms can be vague.

The combination of fast heartbeat, feeling excessive perspiration all the time, and feeling warmer than most people suggests a need for a visit with your local doc, with an eye towards thyroid function tests.
CO2 retainers at depth get headache due to CO2's effect on blood vessels in the brain (dilates them) and can feel nausea occasionally.
Feeling hot all the time, perspiring all the time, and having a fast heartbeat at the surface are not the classic symptoms of CO2 retention and probablyneed investigating.

Ok. So the text I quoted must relate to conditions DURING diving then. Thanks for clearing that up... =)
I'm otherwise somewhat aware of effects of CO2, which I posted in the thread "post-dive nausea" a while ago. (I've had some serious test performed on me regarding nausea/headace/CO2.) I have yet to be tested for a PFO, which might explain my heart-"condition" to some extent, which otherwise is somewhat puzzling to say the least considering I'm only 22 years old.

/Andreas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom