Eel with swollen belly? Is it a Pelican Eel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Grrll

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

Attachments

• Mystery Eel.jpg
    Mystery Eel.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 1,098
Kinda hard to ID as this guy is upside down, can't see much detail about its back half in the photo, and you didn't indicate size. Immediate reaction based on the coloration, shape, & sandy location is "purplemouth moray."

It didn't move away because, like Donny said, it was D E D dead! At one point it may have been a moray of some sort, probably not a pelican eel. Now it is detritus.

Judging from the photo I'd say Purplemouth as well.
I've seen eels "swell up" before,but nothing like the photo.In my experience,it's usually more of a lump around "throat/gill" area.These "swellings" are usually from internal damage caused by a puncture from fins,etc, from prey being swallowed.Some survive and some don't.
With the degree of swelling shown in the upper half of the body compared to the gauntness of the lower half,I would guess that this eel has a blockage of some sort (fins,bone,etc).I don't expect it lasted very long after the pic was taken.

Thanks everyone. It definitely was not dead because it swam (slowly) out from under a rock, but just hung around on the sand patch. I know it's not smart to humanize animals, but it still makes me sad when one is injured or sick.

Back
Top Bottom