(edited) Second thoughts about posting hunting pictures that disrespect our prey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerbee

Contributor
Reaction score
Baton Rouge, LA / Puerto Galera, Philippines
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
The question is tongue-in-cheek, obviously I know that they can’t breathe above water. That didn’t stop us from trying - successfully – to put a scuba tank into the mouth of one that we made an instant kill on (a rarity for AJs) a few weeks ago. To help him breathe out of water. 127 lbs.

The question is tongue-in-cheek, obviously I know that they can’t breathe above water. That didn’t stop us from trying - successfully – to put a scuba tank into the mouth of one that we made an instant kill on (a rarity for AJs) a few weeks ago. To help him breathe out of water. 127 lbs.
Seems a very douchey thing to do, in my opinion - I have no issue with fishing, but try showing a little respect!

Fair enough, other than that it was already dead, and the deckhand bet us his mouth wasn’t big enough to accommodate a scuba tank. It would’ve been disrespectful had it still been alive, for sure… But dead? If we follow that vein of logic, next someone will say that us having to use a sawzall in order to cut the meat off it was “desecrating it’s body”? Why not just go whole hog and say “spearfishing is disrespectful of life”? *roll eyes*

Fair enough, other than that it was already dead, and the deckhand bet us his mouth wasn’t big enough to accommodate a scuba tank. It would’ve been disrespectful had it still been alive, for sure… But dead? If we follow that vein of logic, next someone will say that us having to use a sawzall in order to cut the meat off it was “desecrating it’s body”? Why not just go whole hog and say “spearfishing is disrespectful of life”? *roll eyes*
i guess the dudes dragging the supposedly dead shark a while ago was cool with you too? Nice try at rationalizing - but your attempt at logic is way off - using a sawzall instead of a blade is just using a different tool to do the same job. If you intend to eat the fish (which I would hope is the case), most people cut or filet it with a blade of some type. However, I don't think any mature/sane person would equate that action with trying to shove a scuba tank in it's mouth? Geez - what people post and seem OK with these days continues to amaze (and sadden) me!

Well, the deckhand had never seen one so big, and he questioned whether or not it could eat a person’s head. Since that didn’t seem very practical, the next question was if a scuba cylinder would fit around inside its mouth. When we expressed uncertainty, it became a dare. Was it immature? Without a doubt. Stupid? Almost positively. Disrespectful? I still think not. Although if mild stupidity offends you so much, you probably shouldn’t be on the internet. :wink:

Did you eat it? I have heard that the big amberjacks are pretty wormy. I have no trouble with spearing for a reason, but from my experience amberjacks would be easy prey. Fearless and come very close. Cleaned a 45 pounder once from fishing and was not impressed with the meat.

Well, the deckhand had never seen one so big, and he questioned whether or not it could eat a person’s head. Since that didn’t seem very practical, the next question was if a scuba cylinder would fit around inside its mouth. When we expressed uncertainty, it became a dare. Was it immature? Without a doubt. Stupid? Almost positively. Disrespectful? I still think not. Although if mild stupidity offends you so much, you probably shouldn’t be on the internet. :wink:
I'm never personally offended by things I see posted on the internet - but will still add my opinion (for what's it's worth) when I see things I don't agree with or think are inappropriate... like this! Hopefully, folks learn over time - I know I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom