Edge bcd/hog wing recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
18 Oct 2010
EDGE Dive Gear, selling scuba Products under the brands EDGE and HOG (Highly Optimized Gear) today received an EDGE Freedom Buoyancy Compensator returned to a dealer with a complaint of a broken spring in the Over Pressurization Valve (OPV). This is the first report of this issue brought to the attention of EDGE Dive gear and no injuries have been reported. Upon inspection of the unit involved and other used EDGE and HOG products utilizing the same OPV design it has been determined that the springs in the OPV exhibit an unacceptable amount of corrosion. Diver Safety is our primary concern, thus we are taking fast and decisive action.
In cooperation with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, EDGE Gear is issuing a voluntary recall on all EDGE FREEDOM BCD’s, Some EDGE STEALTH 2 BCD’s (units with red weight release handles for weight pockets are NOT involved), HOG 32lb Single Tank wings identified as “Made in China’ and all EDGE 32, 38 and 58lb wings.
IMMEDIATELY CEASE USE OF THE IDENTIFIED PRODUCTS AND RETURN THE PRODUCT TO AN AUTORIZED EDGE DEALER OR EDGE FOR SPRING OPV REPLACEMENT.
For more information, please contact EDGE at (404)579-7631

cerich -

Would it be possible to procure parts and do the replacement ourselves? I live in Hawaii and have no local EDGE/HOG dealers so both of my wings (32lb single, 38lb doubles) would need to be shipped off-island and that would put me out of the water for a few weeks, at least in doubles. I'm fairly certain that I can replace my OPV in about 5 minutes.

Either way, I will inspect both of mine tonight after work.

Peace,
Greg

cerich -

Would it be possible to procure parts and do the replacement ourselves? I live in Hawaii and have no local EDGE/HOG dealers so both of my wings (32lb single, 38lb doubles) would need to be shipped off-island and that would put me out of the water for a few weeks, at least in doubles. I'm fairly certain that I can replace my OPV in about 5 minutes.

Either way, I will inspect both of mine tonight after work.

Peace,
Greg

HI Greg,

The 38 won't be affected by the recall.

The CPSC has a say in how it get handled, next conversation with them and I will address it.

I have looked at my Stealth it does not say 2 just Edge Stealth on the BC, it is the back inflate and no red handles, should I take it back to my dealer and see if its one that has been recalled.

On another note, a person I know had the whole inflator hose up to the dump/overfill valve come off is this also part of the recall?

Thanks

Hi, i'm about to buy a HOG wing 32lb ( brand new from dealer). Would this still be affect ? i know it been 4 years but just checking to make sure
ta

Hi, i'm about to buy a HOG wing 32lb ( brand new from dealer). Would this still be affect ? i know it been 4 years but just checking to make sure
ta

I would think that Hog would have replaced the affected part and removed the old one from the assembly process so that a new wing today would not be affected by a four year old recall. I would just check the manufacture date not the wing to make it is not some really old back stock and then not give this recall another thought

Back
Top Bottom