Easy way to add a chest strap to back plate webbing harnesses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In case anybody feels the need. This provides an inexpensive, low profile way to do this for those whose physiology or equipment configuration would find it beneficial.

I already know it is counter to DIR philosophy.

I intend to procure a bp/w that does not have a lateral chest strap.

My current back inflate (scuba pro hydros pro) has one that suits me.

But maybe the xDeep zen deluxe may not require one.

Your contribution is appreciated. Thank you.

A properly fitted backplate harness doesn't require one. It really isn't necessary. But to each their own.

Hi Jim
I always enjoy your contribution on here. Please elaborate when you get a minute.

Thank you!

A properly fitted one-piece hogarthian backplate harness doesn't require a chest strap to keep the shoulder straps in place. A chest strap really serves no purpose in the configuration. If you are finding that the harness straps are slipping off of your shoulders they are too loose. It's really that simple. Here are a few useful articles that explain a bit more regarding the configuration and function of a one-piece harness. Having done 600+ dives in a one-piece harness in both a single and doubles, I have never had an issue that required a chest strap. I have many recreational and technical buddies who dive the same configuration and have had the same experience. Focus on properly configuring the harness. Adding a chest strap is unnecessary and is actually a band-aid for an improperly configured harness.

DGX Gears Harness Assembly Instructions | Dive Gear Express®

How to Assemble a Backplate and Continuous Weave Harness - SDI | TDI | ERDI | PFI

DIR-diver.com - Adjust the backplate

However, if you want one then add one. I'm not the scuba police and wouldn't say a thing if I saw you with one on a boat. But read through these articles and you'll see that one isn't mentioned nor is it required for the harness to do its job. It's just more clutter across your chest.

^ Yep!

A properly fitted backplate harness doesn't require one. It really isn't necessary. But to each their own.

I beg to differ. A long torso can really have harness stability issues as well as a short but barreled or large chested person....

The "to each their own" I can accept...

^ Yep!

I beg to differ. A long torso can really have harness stability issues as well as a short but barreled or large chested person....

The "to each their own" I can accept...

I don't agree. Neither a long torso nor a short barrel chested torso should impact the functioning of a properly configured hogarthian harness. I've dived with all shapes of divers who use one piece harnesses without a chest strap. Long and thin, short and not-so-thin, tiny to really large. All of them used a one piece harness without a chest strap.

With that said it's not a topic I have any interest in debating. I'm not Bill Hogarth Main nor am I a DIR diver. Do what you wish. It's your harness. :)

My one request. Try configuring your harness and diving without a chest strap. Let experience be your guide.

I was going to suggest getting in touch with Randy over at Piranha. If it exists, he's probably got it in stainless steel, three different sizes, and an assortment of angles.

I love Piranha.

Back
Top Bottom