Easy night dive site between hood canal & north Seattle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamarketing

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm taking a friend on a little dive tour soon, but she's fairly inexperienced with her drysuit and night diving. We're planning on doing 2 dives in the hood canal area during the day to get her acclimated to the cooler water, then are staying with a friend in Seattle before a visit to Edmonds. I'd love to find a place that's pretty easy to take her on an early night dive after hood canal on the way to Seattle. Any recommendations?

Redondo, in Des Moines, is a great night dive ... especially for beginners. Go out at the stairs, follow the guide rope down to about 50 feet or so, and go peek around under the boat and big sewer pipe ... then head north. There's some old sunken fishing boats where octopus are known to hang out. The bottom contours shallow out as you go north, which is ideal for a beginner diver. The only thing you want to watch is the tidal exchanges. You can get a downcurrent we lovingly refer to as the Redondo River on a large ebb. If it's ebbing that evening, then I'd recommend heading to West Seattle and doing a dive at Cove 2. If she's a new diver, Cove 2 is a great place as long as you keep it shallow ... it's very easy to get deep there, but there's plenty to see in 60 feet or less if you head southeast and follow the contours.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

if you are going to harper i might be able to show you around

Nick ... do you know when you're coming this way? There's a pretty significant plankton bloom going on right now that's got visibility down to less than 10 feet. Nothing special for the experienced diver, but for a less experienced diver ... particularly on a night dive ... it's worth factoring into the decision to dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom