Easter diving: Similan's, Puerto Galera or Bohol

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi

I'm looking at diving options for the Easter break. My local dive shop is running tours to the Similan's (live aboard), Puerto Galera and Bohol.

Now the question is which one to go on!!

I have already done a Similan's liveaboard, and haven't been to the other two destinations. However obviously with the Similan's I'll be getting way more dives in.

While a consideration will be going to a new destination, another major consideration will be quality of the dives.

Help / suggestions greatly appreciated!

Hi Pin, as you have already done Similan LOB, I would suggest you do Puerto Galera and Bohol. Both Puerto Galera and Bohol are excellent dive sites, in fact, i think they are better than Similans in the sense that you dont have to queue underwater. Yes, on any given day in superpeak season, you will find that you are literally diving with schools of divers instead of fish....

One day, they are going to have to install traffic light system in Similans...

I am going to have to agree--as somebody whose "back yard" has been the Similans/Surin etc..for the last few years, I have seen things deteriorate rapidly, and it saddens me greatly.

I can also tell you that the three months I spent diving the Philippines (just for myself) over last Summer (2007) were some of the BEST dives of my life--and I do this for a living!

If you need or desire nightlife/bar scene (a la Phuket) with very good diving, then PG is your place. But if you want a quiet, peaceful and "chill" beach environment, with potentially SUPERB diving (if you include Balicasag, Cabilao, Apo Island) then it HAS to be Bohol.

Believe me, I have worked on LOB's in the Similans, and while it can be nice (if you are lucky with the crowds, and marine life), it's nothing like it used to be--even 3-4 years ago!

The future of Asian diving is Philippines, Indonesia, or elsewhere. Thailand is basically dived out, plain and simple. I have seen and lived it, and tragically the local and National Governments have not taken steps to rectify the situation.

Good Luck and enjoy!
HB

Thanks guys!! I'm probably going to do one of the Philippines trips for easter.

Shame re Thailand, I did a LOB there about 3 years ago, but only for one night. It was great, but do constraints couldn't stay out longer, which was a real shame! Oh well, lets try somewhere new.

pin, I'd suggest giving Bohol a shot. Stop by any HK dive shop and their travel desk will usually have some very good packages.

PG is okay, but nothing to get too excited about. Lots of nudis, mantis shrimp, a nice shark cave, but pretty much the same fare at each "different" site. Dive shop we were at was kind of assembly line like: hurry everyone on boat, zoom out to site, quickly into the water, 45 minute dive no matter how much air left, and back to shop to unload. Staff weren't rude, but you could tell their attitude was that you were just another customer. Also, because of all the boat traffic overhead, dives could be quite noisy, and you definitely need a surface marker for your ascents should you become separated from guide. Surface-side was active, lots of bars and restaurants, and "discos" for those interested in paying "bar fines."

hi guys

seems the dive shop won't be running the PG or Bohol packages due to numbers, may plump with the Similan's one, mainly cause I really want to get some dives in during easter!!

thanks for your suggestions. I will for sure be giving Bohol a try later this year though.

Thanks. Contacted another dive shop and they have packages to PG as it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom