East side beaches overrun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Looks like the east side is still getting drowned in sargassum. Anybody been over there in the last few days? Seems like a really bad situation since they don't really have anywhere to put the stuff once it's washed up.

I worry about the baby turtles getting caught in the mess as they try to get to the ocean. I fear that the nocturnal varmints are decimating them.

Looks like the east side is still getting drowned in sargassum. Anybody been over there in the last few days? Seems like a really bad situation since they don't really have anywhere to put the stuff once it's washed up.
When I was there last month it was bad over there, although not as bad as it was at the same time in 2019. Unlike then, there were actually people in the water at the beach just north of Chen Rio and we were not the only customers at Chen Rio.

Earlier this month as I was leaving I read on line that three very large masses of sargassum were being tracked and heading towards QR. I did the bag drag to Cancun and in Playa there was a 3-4' wall of it on the beach, as far as I could see. Workers were trying to clean it up but looked overwhelmed. The stench was pretty bad even up on 5th avenue.
Several years back when it was bad on the east side Pantera told me that many of the turtles could not make it over the sargassum barriers and gave up and dumped their eggs at sea.

Earlier this month as I was leaving I read on line that three very large masses of sargassum were being tracked and heading towards QR.
Time for tactical nuclear weapons? :D

That and climate change. Since neither of those problems are likely to get any better in the near term, I would like to think a technology solution could be implemented to mitigate the impact. I guess we will see how many resources the Mexican government is willing to throw at this problem to protect the wildlife and their tourism dollars.

That and climate change. Since neither of those problems are likely to get any better in the near term, I would like to think a technology solution could be implemented to mitigate the impact. I guess we will see how many resources the Mexican government is willing to throw at this problem to protect the wildlife and their tourism dollars.
It has also been speculated that something that is contributing to the killing of hard corals on the Cozumel reefs may be hitching a ride into the area on the sargassum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom