East Kalimantan (Derawan, Maratua, Kakaban, Sangalaki)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makhno

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking into my options for a summer trip and remembered meeting some divers who recommended the islands of Indonesian Borneo. They said it's like Sipadan and Mabul but better because there are so few divers there.

Have any of you been there in recent years? What was your experience like? Plenty of big animals and pelagics? Good macro critters? Should someone who hasn't yet been to Sipadan and Mabul go there first instead of East Kalimantan?

Does anyone have experience specifically with Scuba Junkies Sangalaki?

Thanks in advance for whatever info you can provide.

The reviews on Tripadvisor are very very good for SJ in Derawan. You could try messaging the reviewers with any questions you have. It sounds fabulous there !

Have been on Nunukan last autum. Very much liked it. Here is the report:

Nunukan Maratua Atoll East Kalimantan Trip Report

Nabucco is a lot smaller ,denser occupied with the bungis and mostly heavier booked ,but very close to big fish country. Nununkan, which is run by the same company is in my opinion nicer has fewer diver and the breeding places for the turtles and is close to the uninhabitad atoll in the south,with some great spots.

Hi, I'm reviving this old thread because although I didn't go to Indonesia last summer, we're considering it for summer 2018.

Does anyone else have any experience diving Indonesian Borneo?

Thanks in advance for whatever info you can share.

I was in Home - Nabuccoislandresort in May 2014. That’s a great trip. Thinking of going back there again next year.

The one that made the travel a bit of a pain then was the 3-4hr boat ride from Berau to Maratua Atoll, pretty much similar to going to Misool Eco Resort from Sorong to South Misool. However, Indonesian government just open a new airport in Maratua Atoll in June 2017. At the time on Susie Air flying from Berau to that airport. I’m hoping by this summer, you will have more flight choices, replacing the long boat ride with 30-min flight & 30-min boat ride from Maratua Atoll to Nabucco or Nunukan.

Last edited:
Just some additional information to my report above : there is a flight now from Balikpapan direkt to Maratua island , which shortens the travelltime quite a bit, and Nunukan diver found in the uninhabited atoll to the south ( Muaras atoll ) a place with regular sightings of tresher sharks.

Just some additional information to my report above : there is a flight now from Balikpapan direkt to Maratua island , which shortens the travelltime quite a bit, and Nunukan diver found in the uninhabited atoll to the south ( Muaras atoll ) a place with regular sightings of tresher sharks.

This is great news! I’ve been wanting to see the thresher shark. Martin Sigrist, the manager of Nabucco Resort mentioned it to me at the time. Do you know what month of the year the best time to go there?

I am not quite sure about the best time, but we were there October/November and had great conditions. Best to get in contact with Beat the manager on Nunukan island. If you do, please say Hello from Peter. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom