Easiest U-boat to dive in the Eastern coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One other tip, before bringing my oldest boy out to the U835 in 2019, I flew with him out to Chicago and we took some time on the U505 at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. Both are Type IXC boats and it enhanced the dive tremendously for my son as he became familiar with the layout. The staff at the Museum was very nice and one of them spent almost an hour walking around with us and pointing out mechanical features.

You are missing at least the U-1105, which is off Piney Point, Maryland.

I've dove the U-853 and U-1105. The 1105 is not an easy dive. Can only be dove at slack tide even then there is still some river current. With all the crap coming down the Potomac vis can often be a foot or 2. Plus the risk of catching vibro infection in the summer...

Regretfully, I've only been to U-352 out of the whole list (and hoping to visit it again in about one week). It's a nice dive.
And an S-Boat up the patuxent. Just past the bridge to Solomons.

Regretfully, I've only been to U-352 out of the whole list (and hoping to visit it again in about one week). It's a nice dive.

Thanks for pointing this out. I was not aware of the U-1105.

I've dove the U-853 and U-1105. The 1105 is not an easy dive. Can only be dove at slack tide even then there is still some river current. With all the crap coming down the Potomac vis can often be a foot or 2. Plus the risk of catching vibro infection in the summer...

I live in general vicinity of U-853, it’s been on my list for a while. If between the two you call the other one a difficult dive, it tells me it really is.

And an S-Boat up the patuxent. Just past the bridge to Solomons.
Well, if we're counting S boats, there is the S-5 off the DE coast. Ted Green used to run to it relatively frequently out of Ocean City, MD, but no idea if anybody is still running to it now. It's a ways out past the Northern Pacific. The U-117 and U-140 are off the coast of Virginia Beach (part of the Billy Mitchell fleet), but I haven't heard of anybody going out there in years. VBTech/JT Barker made the trip at least once, but that had to be 20 years ago.

Agree with the others on the U-352. The U-85 and U-701 are cool dives, but the conditions will not be as good as the U-352. I'd start there and then work your way through all of them. :)

The 1105 can be pretty hit or miss, and I'm not sure how often any operators go out there, you would probably need your own boat.

At the risk of hijacking the thread... Which is the best for penetration? I’ve seen a couple of YouTube videos of U-869. Are there other candidates for significant penetration?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom