Easiest U-boat to dive in the Eastern coast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is unfortunate. Just because someone can do something, doesn’t mean they should.

When was the last time you dove it? I believe by now she deteriorated to the point that penetration is at the very least not advisable. I think the last videos I’ve seen of her were from Squalus marine, and it didn’t look like something I would want to enter…

I swam thru it last probably 20 years ago. I dove around it looking for artifacts in the sand about 5 years ago. What is outside the sub in the sand is IMO fair game. The sub was depth charged long after it was sunk and there are small artifacts in the sand that were ejected from the sub.

I know someone that has been in it 2-3 years ago. It's still sound, it is a sub after all and was built much differently than a surface ship. It will become "unsafe" someday but it'll take longer than it would a surface ship.

Myself and everyone I dove it with left it undisturbed, not touching or taking anything from inside the sub.
I don't see what we did as any different than walking thru a cemetery. Others may disagree and that's fine. My conscience is clear.

The discussion reminds me that the OP should know Olympus has a nice collection of artifacts from U-352 on display. Even if he dives with a different op, he should stop by Olympus for a look.

The discussion reminds me that the OP should know Olympus has a nice collection of artifacts from U-352 on display. Even if he dives with a different op, he should stop by Olympus for a look.

Last I was there they had the deck gun on display near the docks.

That's it there.
deck gun.jpg

I have a life long fascination with German U-Boats having grown up mostly in Tampa Bay and hearing that there was a WW II sub floating around as well as a WW I sub scuttled off Egmont Key. Fast forward to the 90s and 2000s and I start educating myself on things and find out that there apparently aren't any U-Boats off Tampa Bay. (Although U-166 way deep in the north Gulf, and the 2513 off Key West.)
As mentioned earlier, I have dove U-352 once as well as the 853. I've wanted to dive others, but only those two so far. The 853 remains my favorite wreck dive. We went out around the first weekend of April in 2006 and the vis was around 40 feet. I noticed my camera housing had flooded by the time we were by the conning tower. I was bummed but decided to just leave it on the sub's deck and enjoy my dive. (And even flooded, I managed to save some images of the Seeker I shot from the boat we were on before submerging.) We dropped down into the blast hole by the conning tower and it didn't take long to start recognizing arm and leg bones. As someone who was in the service between high school and college, and stationed in Germany, I was very aware that I was in a war grave and I even mentally said a greeting to the former young, dead Germans. We also popped into the rear blast hole and swam around the sub. On the 352, I only swam around the outside, but managed to get a shot of the conning tower I still like. That dive was in 2004.
I used to visit uboat.net often but haven't recently. Also, there's many good books and films to watch as well. I've liked the Iron Coffin book since I was in middle school in the mid 70s. Also, see if you can find the Nova documentary Hitler's Lost Sub about the 869. (And the U-Boat book by former NY professor Henry "Hank" Keatts. Hank moved to FL and I communicated with him many years ago. Not sure what he's up to now, but I bet his book(s) are still available.)
Lastly, regarding the supposed subs off Tampa Bay, my father had a friend , Gene Cloud, that said he came up on a WW II U-boat off Sarasota in the 1960s while underwater sledding. I grew up hearing about this and dreamed of finding it myself one day. I did talk with Mr. Cloud on the phone before he died, and he stuck with his story. It was also printed in area newspapers at the time. As for the other, someone had told my grandfather, a Florida maritime historian, about a WW I sub scuttled somewhere near Egmont Key. But, turns out that likely was mistaken for the USS Narcissus. A union ship sunk in a storm in 1866.

Gene Page

I have a life long fascination with German U-Boats having grown up mostly in Tampa Bay and hearing that there was a WW II sub floating around as well as a WW I sub scuttled off Egmont Key. Fast forward to the 90s and 2000s and I start educating myself on things and find out that there apparently aren't any U-Boats off Tampa Bay. (Although U-166 way deep in the north Gulf, and the 2513 off Key West.)
As mentioned earlier, I have dove U-352 once as well as the 853. I've wanted to dive others, but only those two so far. The 853 remains my favorite wreck dive. We went out around the first weekend of April in 2006 and the vis was around 40 feet. I noticed my camera housing had flooded by the time we were by the conning tower. I was bummed but decided to just leave it on the sub's deck and enjoy my dive. (And even flooded, I managed to save some images of the Seeker I shot from the boat we were on before submerging.) We dropped down into the blast hole by the conning tower and it didn't take long to start recognizing arm and leg bones. As someone who was in the service between high school and college, and stationed in Germany, I was very aware that I was in a war grave and I even mentally said a greeting to the former young, dead Germans. We also popped into the rear blast hole and swam around the sub. On the 352, I only swam around the outside, but managed to get a shot of the conning tower I still like. That dive was in 2004.
I used to visit uboat.net often but haven't recently. Also, there's many good books and films to watch as well. I've liked the Iron Coffin book since I was in middle school in the mid 70s. Also, see if you can find the Nova documentary Hitler's Lost Sub about the 869. (And the U-Boat book by former NY professor Henry "Hank" Keatts. Hank moved to FL and I communicated with him many years ago. Not sure what he's up to now, but I bet his book(s) are still available.)
Lastly, regarding the supposed subs off Tampa Bay, my father had a friend , Gene Cloud, that said he came up on a WW II U-boat off Sarasota in the 1960s while underwater sledding. I grew up hearing about this and dreamed of finding it myself one day. I did talk with Mr. Cloud on the phone before he died, and he stuck with his story. It was also printed in area newspapers at the time. As for the other, someone had told my grandfather, a Florida maritime historian, about a WW I sub scuttled somewhere near Egmont Key. But, turns out that likely was mistaken for the USS Narcissus. A union ship sunk in a storm in 1866.

Gene Page

The Seeker was on U-853? A long way from home.

Then again Doria is even further away I guess.

Reactions: OTF
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom