Ease of diving and relative depths in Saba StKitts and question about sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig66

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to know what the depth of the dive sites are on the average dive site on the Explorer Ventures trip to Saba StKitts. Are they similar to the average Bahamas and Belize sites where walls g deep but their are lots of spurs and grooves away from the wall in the 30-60 foot range or is it closer to Turks and Caicos type range where tops of walls are at 80 feet.

Also as compared to the Bahamas dives are there reef sharks to be found with any frequency in Saba St Kitts?

I am bringing my shark obsessed junior and would like to have dives where we can stay relatively shallow ( <60-70) and will also get he change to see sharks with some frequency.

Thanks

Craig

Hi Craig -

I believe you already spoke to Lynn this morning and got all of the answers that you needed - she's spent several years on board on that itinerary, as well as in the Turks & Caicos, and knows the sites well!

Please let us know if there's anything else that we can do for you.

Best,

- Clay McCardell

I would like to know what the depth of the dive sites are on the average dive site on the Explorer Ventures trip to Saba StKitts. Are they similar to the average Bahamas and Belize sites where walls g deep but their are lots of spurs and grooves away from the wall in the 30-60 foot range or is it closer to Turks and Caicos type range where tops of walls are at 80 feet.

Also as compared to the Bahamas dives are there reef sharks to be found with any frequency in Saba St Kitts?

I am bringing my shark obsessed junior and would like to have dives where we can stay relatively shallow ( <60-70) and will also get he change to see sharks with some frequency.

Thanks

Craig

How about a quick summary for those of us who didn't speak to Lynn, but have considered the Saba/St Kitts itinerary??

The diving is generally not like Belize where you have a distinct wall. Saba can be very deep or shallow, depending upon the site. St Kitts is generally shallow, no walls.

Saba has several very deep pinnacles (eg. Eye of the Needle) that rise up to around 90ft minimum. Makes for a short but topographically interesting dive. Diamond rock starts at around 80 flat sand bottom and shoots straight up past the surface. Very unique dive site. Tent Reef can be done from 20ft down to around 90 ft. None of these are walls.

How about a quick summary for those of us who didn't speak to Lynn, but have considered the Saba/St Kitts itinerary??

Certainly! Below is what Lynn summarized:

"It will be easy to stay in the 40 – 70 foot range on all but a handful of dives. St. Kitts very easy for shallower depths the premier dive sites are in the 40 – 70 foot range. i.e. River Taw, M/V Corinthian, Paradise Reef (you can stay in the shallows and on top of the reef fingers), Monkey Shoals, really all sites in St.Kitts have a wide range from the shallow to deep if you want to go deep.
Saba – really the only two sites that are an issue with depth are the pinnacle – starting at 80 feet and going to 110 for the entire dive – no shallow area on this one. Tedran wall is a bit deeper as well top of the coral fingers is 70 – 80 ish. Everything else has shallow bits and deep parts. Tent reef is my favorite site with really 3 sites in one – with a shallow area 10 – 15 feet right under the boat a mid area 60 foot range and then a deep area if you want. I spend my whole time in the mid to shallow area – looking for seahorse, frog fish, nudi's and tons of juveniles.

As for reef sharks — you will see them more on Saba – they are getting more and more prevalent. There are also nurse sharks at Ladder Lab and you will see a few in St Kitts at monkey shoals. I would not say it is sharky like Turks and Caicos – however they have been reporting more and more sharks around Diamond Rock, Man 'o War Shoals, at the pinnacle, and several other dives on Saba. I would say it is between frequent and rare for the reef sharks.

T&C is best for the reefs however there is the issue of depth on that one.

When I think of Saba/St Kitts I think macro and turtles with some sharks
When I think of T&C – I think of sharks, eagle rays , turtles and a little bit of macro"

Clay,

Thanks for the notes on the Caribbean charters. We have some cabins booked on the T&C route October 10-17, 2015 and we are really looking forward to that trip. This will be a test for my wife as it will be the first liveaboard for her. We still have some space but hope to fill the berths at the Seattle H2O Show April 11-12.

Cheers,

Greg

Certainly! Below is what Lynn summarized:

"It will be easy to stay in the 40 &#8211; 70 foot range on all but a handful of dives. St. Kitts very easy for shallower depths the premier dive sites are in the 40 &#8211; 70 foot range. i.e. River Taw, M/V Corinthian, Paradise Reef (you can stay in the shallows and on top of the reef fingers), Monkey Shoals, really all sites in St.Kitts have a wide range from the shallow to deep if you want to go deep.
Saba &#8211; really the only two sites that are an issue with depth are the pinnacle &#8211; starting at 80 feet and going to 110 for the entire dive &#8211; no shallow area on this one. Tedran wall is a bit deeper as well top of the coral fingers is 70 &#8211; 80 ish. Everything else has shallow bits and deep parts. Tent reef is my favorite site with really 3 sites in one &#8211; with a shallow area 10 &#8211; 15 feet right under the boat a mid area 60 foot range and then a deep area if you want. I spend my whole time in the mid to shallow area &#8211; looking for seahorse, frog fish, nudi's and tons of juveniles.

As for reef sharks &#8212; you will see them more on Saba &#8211; they are getting more and more prevalent. There are also nurse sharks at Ladder Lab and you will see a few in St Kitts at monkey shoals. I would not say it is sharky like Turks and Caicos &#8211; however they have been reporting more and more sharks around Diamond Rock, Man 'o War Shoals, at the pinnacle, and several other dives on Saba. I would say it is between frequent and rare for the reef sharks.

T&C is best for the reefs however there is the issue of depth on that one.

When I think of Saba/St Kitts I think macro and turtles with some sharks
When I think of T&C &#8211; I think of sharks, eagle rays , turtles and a little bit of macro"

Thanks!!

Clay, I must just tell you that Lynn was an absolute delight to talk to and was very helpful. The fact that she had spent a lot of time on the boat was great and the info was very helpful and we literally booked on the spot. Given that this is not my first EV trip I know that the service I got with Lynn is not limited to Lynn but is company wide - (wish some of the other live aboard companies would follow your lead).

Looking forward to a great dive trip even if we have to sit out the pinnacles - Hey my 15 year old will absolutely not complain about getting to sleep in on that morning !!!! :)

There will be some current off of one of the islands, sorry I can't remember which one . Its not intolerable at all, but it is there(the current)

We chartered the Turks & Caicos Explorer in the spring of 2013 and had a blast. One of our best liveaboards to date. Crew, boat, food, and diving were all great. So if anyone is thinking about that trip......DO IT! I have now chartered the Caribbean Explorer II doing Saba/St. Kitts for the summer of 2016. I have heard nothing but good things about this trip as well. Wanted to do it this year but with Fiji, Little Cayman, and Cocos on the schedule, I ran out of time and money!

But we are really looking forward to next year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom