Earthquake in Sumatra today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Anyone heard any news about the 8.2 and 8.6 earthquakes in Northern Sumatra today?? How about the 7.0 in Mexico? They are surrounding us!! I hope everyone is safe and there are no tsunamis...

Here's a link to the USGS Earthquake site:

Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days

95_0.gif

Aloha Doug! The ring of fire is busy big time! If you folks are interested, and have a smart phone or an iPad/tablet....download the Hawaii News Now weather app. It's pretty handy. In the settings you can select that the earthquake activity is displayed. If you look at the map right now it shows that all the recent activity lines up in parallel lines, with us in the middle!

I don't have the APP but I watch this stuff. If you live near the coast, now would be a good time to have a look at your preparedness situation. Have Water, Food and Important medications stocked. Batteries. Escape Route, Communication Plan / meeting place for friends and family.... Don't wait till it's too late.

If things are lining up the way you say Leesa then what if Hawaii splits in two?? We already have active volcanoes here and are probably a "weak spot" in the Pacific when it comes right down to it... Or, we could get hit by tidal waves from any side... think about it and "don't get scared, get prepared!" Today was a BIG DAY for earthquakes. And it's been a busy earthquake year too.

Have you seen this? Turn up your sound and watch what happens around March 11 last year... Holy Cow!

2/10/2012 -- MUST SEE ! 2011 earthquakes WORLDWIDE plotted and animated (with sound intensity) ! - YouTube

map.png

Thanks for that Doug, very interesting...especially the big boom on the 11th. From what I hear, that ledge on the big Island is our biggest worry. Forget preparedness....just say your prayers...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom