Early tech diving death reports article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The question now is what is a "deep dive" to begin with? If you are considering recent gas density recommendations, AKA max 6.2 g/L, then anything below 130' is considered a "deep dive".

The question now is what is a "deep dive" to begin with? If you are considering recent gas density recommendations, AKA max 6.2 g/L, then anything below 130' is considered a "deep dive".

I’m narced out of my gourd at 130ft. I won’t do that again without helium.

Narcosis is subjective. Some people are impaired at PPN .79
Cold, exertion and dark are more of an element for me than depth to a certain point. I dove 54 degree water in FL during a thermocline and was a bit goofy at 85' . Most days here I am fine going pretty deep unless there is a lot of current to swim against. Using 40,000+ cu ft of gas a year means helium isn't happening very often. That means being depth limited to what I believe I can safely dive even if TSHTF.

Narcosis is subjective. Some people are impaired at PPN .79
Cold, exertion and dark are more of an element for me than depth to a certain point. I dove 54 degree water in FL during a thermocline and was a bit goofy at 85' . Most days here I am fine going pretty deep unless there is a lot of current to swim against. Using 40,000+ cu ft of gas a year means helium isn't happening very often. That means being depth limited to what I believe I can safely dive even if TSHTF.

I have dark and cold up here. Not an issue you you’d likely see much.

I have always been fascinated by the variability in people's tolerances to narcosis. One guy I used to dive with, and have mentioned before, had a hard limit of just over 100 feet. We were almost exclusively diving dark, cold, and low vis.

I also found the difference between diving wet and dry interesting.

DW

For sure. We get 50s only rarely. Normally 60s or higher anywhere we'd be diving. The inshore temps are very misleading here. The offshore weather bouys are more representative of actual dive temps. If I was diving up that way, I'm sure it would be more of an issue.

Posting an article from GUE.com? Going over to the dark side?

:poke:

Good info is good info. I was sent an article from some GUE instructor guy that said the only “real” diving is caves. I flipped the bird at the computer screen. What an idiot.

I do like cookies, especially chocolate chip ones! The other kind don’t seem to be found on wrecks. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom