ear protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't matter to me.

Hoods don't stop water (unless you're talking dry hoods)... in fact, if they did, it could cause problems.

I use docs pro plugs sometimes. My girlfrend says they work, i am not convinced yet though. it does keep the cold water out of your ears though, which she says helps with vertigo that she feels sometimes.

I used to live in Santa Cruz so I'll assume that DPP Stands for Docks pro plugs. this is a little weird because I had a dream with Brenda (hotline,DPP) in it last night. I dive in contaminated waters on a regular basis and have more problems with my ears than a regular diver I only wear hoods when its cold because it restricts neck movement so much(some one will say a "good" hood wont do that but they all do) as a tactical diver and special response diver instructor for the NAPD, pro plugs have been on my list gear to test for a while. I have a pair of vented pro plugs with a leash I bought at O'neall on 41st about six years ago, I'm ashamed to say I only wore them a few times before I left SC and never diving. I'll test them out for sure on my next dive and let you know if I can endorse them for Police divers.

I have a pair of Doc's pro plugs, they work okay when you go down to one depth then back up but, with any type of seasaw profile I had problems. They sit in my dive bag but, haven't used them for awhile I opt for the ear beer solution half white vinegar and half 70% rubbing alcohol soak each ear for a minimum of 5 minutes, more is okay but, not less than 5 min. have had no ear problems since going to this and initially I had a ton of them....

I used to live in Santa Cruz so I'll assume that DPP Stands for Docks pro plugs. this is a little weird because I had a dream with Brenda (hotline,DPP) in it last night. I dive in contaminated waters on a regular basis ... I only wore them a few times before I left SC and never diving. I'll test them out for sure on my next dive and let you know if I can endorse them for Police divers.

Hillarious. I have gotten the chance to meet Brenda recently, quite the woman. She'll be around for the next couple of weeks, I'm sure she would appreciate a friendly hello. You should be real careful about letting bacteria touch your ear drum; I myself surf contaminated waters during swell season, and have gotten ear infections prior to using the vented proplugs. I'd like very much for you to hit me up after you test out the proplugs, make sure they are the correct size!

I have a pair of Doc's pro plugs, they work okay when you go down to one depth then back up but, with any type of seasaw profile I had problems. They sit in my dive bag but, haven't used them for awhile I opt for the ear beer solution ...no ear problems since going to this and initially I had a ton of them....

The small vent design is what allows for safe and in most cases easier equalization. This is due to entry into the water with a canal full of warm air which puts you in a less stressful mindset without the discomfort of water in the canal and pain from the cold water on your eardrum; and equalization is more efficiently done. I have heard that the ear beer solution is quite effective. Back in the day, I used a hair dryer to blow my ear canal dry. I'll have to try that solution myself.

I use docs pro plugs sometimes. My girlfrend says they work, i am not convinced yet though. it does keep the cold water out of your ears though, which she says helps with vertigo that she feels sometimes.

Vertigo, dizziness, disorientation are symptoms of a reflex thermal reaction which occurs when the water you are diving in touches your ear drum; and there is a radical temperature change. I can hook you up with a fitting set if you just take care of the shipping (if you want to try them out that is).

Doesn't matter to me.
Hoods don't stop water (unless you're talking dry hoods)... in fact, if they did, it could cause problems.

External exostosis is experienced at some level by ALL water enthusiasts. (Bold statement, I know). Just keep your ears dry...

External exostosis is experienced at some level by ALL water enthusiasts. (Bold statement, I know). Just keep your ears dry...

I've been diving a long time and don't seem to have any ear tumors. :)

I had an issue with ear infections for a while (otitis externa), but since I started using the simple ear beer solution (50-50 rubbing alcohol/white vinegar) at the end of every dive day, no problems whatsoever.

You my friend, are one of the lucky ones. I have small case of tiny cysts in my ear canal... it got so annoying after surfing and diving. Often times, I would start hearing static like noise in my ear whenever someone spoke, it would get even worse when I stood in the wind. I then tried alcohol, that was alright. Although I have not had to use drops since using the proplugs, I will probably try vinegar and alcohol next time that I get water in my canal.
As far as the bony cysts, I think it takes quite a few number of years for a serious obstruction in the external auditory canal to develop (if you don't use ear protection and are constantly around the water), and sometimes symptoms aren't that extreme. External exostosis is not just common in most surfers around here, but even fishermen... which is why I say that for someone who's constantly submerged in the water, you are a lucky one.

I've been having ear problems (infections, fungus, "swimmer's ear" etc.) since I was a young girl. My ENT wasn't sure if diving was an option for me, but when the EAR Pro 2000 came out he said to go ahead and give it a try. It works great! It helps equalize the ears more efficiently, keeps water (hence, bacteria) out of the ears, and you can hear and detect where sounds are coming from with it on. Because you breathe through the nose once in a while, it also eliminates mask squeeze. Check it out at diversport.com (only $48.88). If you wear a hood, you can either cut holes where the ear cups suction, or they have special hoods made to wear with the mask. It's helped me immensely, and I no longer have to worry about infections or water getting stuck in my ear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom