ear problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have been diving since 1984 and have done hundreds of dives despite having been born with "bad" ears. I had tubes in my ears as a kid and could get an ear infection from a shower. Throughout the years I've had multiple tympanoplasty surgeries, probably a dozen cauterizations to repair pinholes in my eardrums and too many ear infections to count, but I keep diving. In the last decade I've frequented my ENT doc. I must have some kind of pressure problem in my eustacian tubes or weak tympanic membranes or something because a surgery will last me a good year or two but then, through no trauma, something gives way. My ENT doesn't have a solution and he knows my ears better than his own. Anyhow, I've toughed it through dives with perforated eardrums. Fast forward to present day. My wife and I haven't dove in salt water for about six months as the PH level in salt water burns my ear. Fresh water is OK once you get used to the water getting in there. I'm computer illiterate and have never researched my difficulties online before. I recently chanced across scubaboard.com and was surprised to see that there has been a product on the market (for some time) which can keep the ear canal dry so I can avoid pain and infections. (Pro Ear 2000 mask) I'd really like to enjoy my diving experience in between ear repairs. I know what DAN says about diving with existing injuries and I know that you can't obstruct the ear canal and dive to any depth with an intact membrane because something has to give, namely, the eardrum. Anyhow, the reason I posted this is to throw out some questions.

QUESTION #1 What about a solid plug in a canal with a perforated membrane???

QUESTION #2 What can anyone who has used the Pro Ear 2000 tell me about how well it keeps water out of the ears???

QUESTION #3 What are your thoughts on trying either of the following two things?

setup #1 dive with the Pro Ear 2000 and a Doc's solid plug in the perforated ear (depending on what you answer to question 1)

setup #2 dive with the Pro Ear 2000 and a Doc's vented plug in the perforated ear

Thankyou! I look forward to your thoughts.
Shark out.

I would follow your Dr.'s advice. If he has been doing surgery after surgery, there is an issue waiting to leave you without hearing.

It would seem by posting here that you all ready have an answer and are looking for agreement with what you would like the answer to be.

Good luck in your quest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom